Over the next three weeks, Illinois faces five opponents with a combined record of 78-15. Four of them are currently ranked among the Top 15 teams in the country.
From the get-go, the names fit like a small-sized helmet on an XL-sized head. Awkwardly. And now, it’s time for the Big Ten to send “Legends” and “Leaders” on their way. Mercifully.
In the wake of Illinois’ 23-point loss to unranked Wisconsin, the Fighting Illini took a major plunge in the rankings.
Victor Oladipo had 20 points and six rebounds and Jordan Hulls knocked down four 3-pointers, helping No. 5 Indiana hold off No. 8 Minnesota’s late charge for an 88-81 victory Saturday.
The Fighting Illini are an imperfect basketball team.
Despite a win against top-ranked Ohio State, the Illini dropped to No. 12 in the AP poll.
Keep your wits about yourself, Illini Nation.
Purdue figured out how to slow the pace — and still score a little, too, Wednesday night.
After a loss to Missouri knocked them out of the Top 10, the Fighting Illini are inching closer back to that status.
He’s three inches shorter, five pounds lighter and unlikely to be named National Player of the Year (or go No. 2 in the NBA Draft), but that doesn’t mean Brandon Paul can’t still pull an Evan Turner this season.
For Notre Dame, ranked No. 1 in the land with a single regular-season game remaining, the door to the national championship is wide open. But the door to the Big Ten? Well, that’s almost closed.
Rutgers is leaving the Big East for the Big Ten and cashing in on the school’s investment in a football program that only 10 years ago seemed incapable of competing at the highest level.
I’ve always found it odd that here in Illinois, despite being the fifth most populous state in the country, we have only three major college football programs.
So, is it really possible that Northwestern posts not only its best win total since 1995 this year, but even its better by one or two victories?
Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany expects the new college football playoff to be finalized by Jan. 1, but he ruled out the possibility of the new four-team tournament starting next season.
Down in Champaign, where these days things are far more blue than orange, the Fighting Illini football team is a woeful 2-5 in head coach Tim Beckman’s first season.
Matt McGloin threw for 211 yards and a touchdown and ran for two more scores to lead Penn State to a 35-7 win over Illinois Saturday in the schools’ Big Ten opener.
This will come off as crazy talk to most, but don’t be surprised to see Notre Dame in the middle of the national championship conversation in November.
And this deeper dilemma affecting U. of I. athletics is so discouraging that after reading this column, you very well may be driven to drink yourself.
The Big Ten is indeed off to its worst start in quite a while. And by the looks of it, the season could fizzle out before the conference games even begin next Saturday.
- Body Found In Lake Is Missing U Of C StudentAuthorities have confirmed the body found in Lake Michigan early Wednesday belonged to a University of Chicago student who has been missing for a week.667
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.5989
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!