Since 1920, Northwestern has had just one basketball coach who actually was able to leave Evanston with a winning record – and probably his sanity – intact.
Bill Carmody is officially out at Northwestern, ending a 13-year run that did not include any NCAA Tournament berths.
The general consensus is that Carmody’s job is in the hands of Phillips right now, but a new question was raised after Thursday’s loss: Does Carmody even want to return?
He needs to cut the cord with Bill Carmody. Then, if NU’s AD is as smart as NU’s student body, he’ll make every effort to replace him with Duke associate head coach Chris Collins, a prodigal North Shore son who would fit Evanston like a winter glove.
Jared Swopshire’s collegiate career came to a premature end Tuesday when the Northwestern senior guard had to have arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.
Northwestern needed a nearly flawless performance to have a chance of upsetting top-ranked Michigan. Instead, it was the Wolverines who opened up a comfortable lead with a stellar display of shooting at the outset.
Cody Zeller had 21 points and 13 rebounds to help No. 2 Indiana beat Northwestern 67-59 Sunday.
With no games scheduled until Monday, the Northwestern basketball team is taking a break this week. But here in the meantime, what I’m wondering is if the Northwestern basketball program will ever decide to break away from coach Bill Carmody.
Smith, the Bulldogs’ 6-foot-11 senior center, scored a season-high 24 points and Butler pulled away in the second half.
Drew Crawford scored 18 points and Northwestern hit a dozen 3-pointers Tuesday night as Northwestern beat Delaware State 69-50.
Northwestern didn’t give a reason when head coach Bill Carmody suspended junior guard JerShon Cobb for the entire 2012-13 basketball season, but it appears the reason was academics.
Northwestern announced Friday is has suspended junior guard JerShon Cobb for the entire 2012-13 season due to violations of a team policy.
Northwestern has since decided to retain Carmody, and athletic director Jim Phillips said expectations have never been higher for the Wildcats.
Carmody led the Wildcats to their fourth straight NIT this season, but came under fire when the team failed in a number of chances to secure the school’s first ever NCAA Tournament berth.
Duke associate head coach Chris Collins reportedly prefers the Northwestern job over the Illinois job.
After 12 years, you can’t say that Carmody hasn’t had his chance in Evanston. He has.
Barring a collective sympathy vote by the NCAA Selection Tournament Committee, the Wildcats will likely be – and should be – on the outside looking in on Selection Sunday.
A 22-ounce basketball never carried so much weight for a program that desperately needed it to find its way inside the 18-inch diameter of the rim.
John Shurna made two free throws with 2.6 seconds left to give Northwestern a 67-66 win over Penn State on Saturday night.
Cody Zeller kept Indiana in the game Wednesday night. Verdell Jones’ late charge proved to be the difference.
- Boy, 17, Fatally Shot In Back Of The YardsA teenage boy was fatally shot in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood Tuesday evening, police said.147
- Police: Man Killed In Jump From Gold Coast BuildingA man jumped to his death early Tuesday from the Gold Coast high-rise building where he lived, authorities said.303
- Police: Man Touches Woman’s Leg At South Loop CTA StationPolice are looking for man who inappropriately touched a woman at a South Loop CTA station Tuesday morning.147
- Rapper Chief Keef Arrested In Georgia Hotel After Staff Smells MarijuanaChicago rapper Chief Keef makes no secret of his fondness for marijuana. The staff at the swanky LeMeridien Atlanta Perimeter hotel doesn’t share that fondness.144
- Florida Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing Of Bears FanA Florida man has pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears take on the Jaguars in October.619
- Man Critically Hurt In Jump From 3rd Floor Of HospitalA man was critically injured after attempting to jump from the window of a hospital Tuesday in the South Side Englewood neighborhood.201
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!