After being closed for two days due to flooding and street closures in the area, the Brookfield Zoo will reopen on Saturday, although it will close an hour earlier than normal.
The animals are doing fine, zoo directors said, and the zoo will have staff on site to continue to look after them.
Whether you want to learn about compost or find out how you can save an endangered species, the Chicagoland area has numerous activities planned for Earth Day.
Celebrating Easter in Chicago should be something for the entire family. Check out some of the Easter-themed activities that cater towards families with children this Easter and make it memorable for everyone, regardless of their age.
Chicago can be a vibrant city for people of all ages. Make sure to make the most of what Chicago has to offer for the older generation by taking advantage of the many discounts and venues that cater towards seniors.
That’s right, the keepers at the Brookfield Zoo are, as it turns out, romantics at heart when it comes to the animals in their care. Many animals on Thursday received special heart-shaped treats to celebrate Valentine’s Day.
Recently, a young and agile white-cheeked gibbon named Thani found his way into an area of the Tropic World Asia exhibit where orangutans reside. There, he met Kekasih, a 4-year-old orangutan, and the two have hit it off.
The man told police that when he walked by Riverside Brookfield High School, he received a brainwave message from recording artist Justin Bieber telling him to go to the school to see the kids there.
New Year’s doesn’t necessarily strike people as being a family-friendly holiday in Chicago. However, there are many kid-friendly events that are perfect for youth of all ages.
If you are looking for a different way for your child to enjoy Halloween, Chicago provides plenty of events that you can use as an alternative to trick-or-treating.
It’s been more than two years since a 73-year-old Chicago woman lost her handicapped parking placard. But police say they found it over the weekend, in a car belonging to a healthy, 35-year-old man.
CBS is hitting the road on a cross country trip to thank viewers for making us the No. 1 network in the nation.
If your playgroup’s usual location is feeling “played out” with summer well underway, now is the perfect time to get creative with new locations. Whether it’s exploring nature, unwinding in a café, getting hands-on with history or seeing animals up close, the Chicagoland area offers a variety of museums, zoos and parks that can make the dog days of summer more enjoyable. Pack a lunch, grab your sunscreen and get ready to have fun with your playgroup in a new meetup destination.
Animals at the Brookfield Zoo are getting a little help with staying cool.
There was a big surprise on Wednesday for two little girls at Brookfield Zoo and everybody at a dolphin show got to share it with them.
A gorilla named JoJo has traded the north lakefront for the southwest suburbs, as he takes over the leadership and breeding roles at Brookfield Zoo.
Do you have what it takes to be the ultimate “Survivor”?
There was no other place I wanted to go to more as a kid than the Brookfield Zoo. In fact, blowing out the candles on my birthday cake involved wishing for my mom to take me to the zoo. That’s before I got smart and starting wishing for a dog. Over the past couple of years the zoo has started implementing a lot of new exhibits and homes for the animals. The best part of the zoo is that you’ll never see the same thing twice. The animals are always up to something.
The last two weekends in April promise to be green in the Chicagoland in so many ways with trees budding and unfurling their leaves and both Earth Day and Arbor Day celebrations in full swing around the city and suburbs. Mark your calendars for Earth Day Sunday, April 22, and Arbor Day Friday, April 27, and take a peak below to plan out how to celebrate our great Earth with the kiddos while teaching them ways to be good stewards of our precious resources.
Brookfield Zoo announced this week that a black-footed cat has been born at the zoo for the first time ver.
- 3 Dead, 8 Hurt In Shootings Since Friday NightThe most recent fatal shooting happened about 1:50 a.m. Saturday in the Hyde Park community, roughly half a mile from President Barack Obama’s home in neighboring Kenwood.108
- Some People You Should Know: The MelodeersIt all began when barbershop patrons started singing while waiting to get their hair cut. A century or so later, the Melodeers chorus is taking the music to a dazzling new height with 140 ladies singing in unaccompanied four-part harmony. CBS 2's Harry Porterfield reports.155
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!