A small public school district nestled among two wealthy Chicago suburbs is in serious financial trouble. West Northfield Elementary School District 31 is surrounded by Northbrook and Glenview on the North Shore. It has only two schools and severe cuts are looming if they don’t get more money.
The long-term forecast for the Illinois budget looks gloomy, with less state money available and government services facing cuts, Gov. Pat Quinn’s office said Tuesday.
Members of Occupy Chicago were staging a sit-in outside Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s office at City Hall, in protest of planned budget cuts to mental health clinics.
It was reading time and protest time for more than 100 city librarians and supporters Monday morning at a rally outside Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s office at City Hall.
Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan said he is open to reallocating state budget money to avoid numerous layoffs and facility closures proposed last week by Gov. Pat Quinn.
City Hall is reportedly planning to chop tens of millions of dollars from the police budget, and achieve some of those cuts by eliminating vacancies.
Mayor Emanuel is promising that cuts to the police budget will not jeopardize public safety.
The DuPage County Board is picking up the pay for its regional school superintendent just as Gov. Pat Quinn has asked, but there’s a question whether the practice will become permanent.
The Chicago Board of Education has approved a plan to raise property taxes in Chicago to help eliminate a $712 million budget hole.
Social Security offices in Chicago and the suburbs will close 30 minutes earlier every day starting Aug. 15 to cut costs.
Budget cuts to programs that deliver meals to homebound seniors in Illinois may force some frail elderly into nursing homes, a more expensive option for both the individuals and the state, advocates say.
Illinois’ “Transitional Assistance” program has helped homeless, disabled and unemployed state residents for years, but now it’s gone away, a victim of the state’s budget shortfall.
Summer school in Gary, Ind., isn’t what it used to be, and a budget deficit is to blame.
The Chicago Public Schools are poised to lay off about 1,000 teachers soon.
It didn’t take long for Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago Public Schools chief executive officer J.C. Brizard to warn of some serious financial problems in the school system.
Larger classroom size, fewer administrators, less security and nearly 300 pink slips for teachers. Those are just a few of the cutbacks as the Gary, Ind. school district faces the biggest budget cut in its history.
Mayor-elect Emanuel Rahm Emanuel has ordered all department heads to cut management costs by 10 percent, which would necessitate cuts of about 1,300 jobs.
Illinois State Treasurer Dan Rutherford said Thursday that he’s cutting his office’s budget by pinching pennies wherever he can.
In north suburban Northbrook, voters have rejected a tax hike that would have helped close a $1 million budget hole.
Gov. Pat Quinn estimates eliminating regional offices of education can save Illnois $14 million per year, but the superintendents say they provide vital services.
- Police: Man Killed In Jump From Gold Coast BuildingA man jumped to his death early Tuesday from the Gold Coast high-rise building where he lived, authorities said.150
- Police: Man Touches Woman’s Leg At South Loop CTA StationPolice are looking for man who inappropriately touched a woman at a South Loop CTA station Tuesday morning.147
- Rapper Chief Keef Arrested In Georgia Hotel After Staff Smells MarijuanaChicago rapper Chief Keef makes no secret of his fondness for marijuana. The staff at the swanky LeMeridien Atlanta Perimeter hotel doesn’t share that fondness.144
- Florida Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing Of Bears FanA Florida man has pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears take on the Jaguars in October.619
- Man Critically Hurt In Jump From 3rd Floor Of HospitalA man was critically injured after attempting to jump from the window of a hospital Tuesday in the South Side Englewood neighborhood.201
- History Of Tornadoes In Chicago AreaTwisters with that kind of force that flattened Moore, Okla., have hit the Chicago area in the past, and have been extremely deadly.593
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!