CBS 2 Chicago wbbm7801059 670 The Score

carbon monoxide

A carbon monoxide detector. (Credit: CBS)

Will Your Detector Protect You From Carbon Monoxide?

With enough exposure carbon monoxide can be deadly. We saw that last month in an Oak Brook home where one man died and seven women were sickened after a CO leak. When firefighters got there, levels were already at 1,000 parts per million.

02/25/2014

One person died and at least five others were sent to the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak at this home in Oak Brook. (CBS)

CO Detectors Not Working In Oak Brook Home Where Man Died

Carbon monoxide detectors were not working in a west suburban Oak Brook mansion where an 86-year-old man died and seven women were injured as a result of a leak Thursday morning.

01/17/2014

One person died and at least five others were sent to the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak at this home in Oak Brook. (CBS)

One Dead, Seven Sickened In Oak Brook Carbon Monoxide Leak

A carbon monoxide leak Thursday morning in west suburban Oak Brook left an 84-year-old man dead and sent at seven women to the hospital.

01/16/2014

Michael Nichols, 41; his wife Kennetha Purnell, 38; their son Matthew, 13; and their daughter Morgan, 11, all died in their home in Merrillville, apparent victims of carbon monoxide poisoning. (Photos supplied to CBS)

Family Of 4 Dies Of Apparent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Merrillville

Police were called to the home Wednesday to conduct a well-being check, after relatives called to say they hadn’t heard from the family since Saturday.

10/16/2013

carbon monoxide detector

Indoor Use Of Power Washer Prompts Warning About Carbon Monoxide

The Fire Department was warning Chicago residents not to use gasoline-powered machines indoors, after responding to a potentially deadly carbon monoxide leak in the Chatham neighborhood.

07/16/2013

A family was rescued Monday after they became sickened from carbon-monoxide poisoning. (CBS)

Quick-Thinking Boyfriend Saves Family Poisoned By Furnace

The young man raced to the house and through a window saw the girl’s father passed out on the living room floor and called 911. CBS 2′s Mike Parker reports.

02/25/2013

(Credit: Thinkstock)

Fire Dept. Rescues Unconscious Antioch Family

An Antioch family of four – all of whom had passed out – was saved this morning by a teenager who called 911 after he peered through the family’s window.

02/25/2013

Zanib Ahmad (Credit: Instagram/Zanib Ahmad)

CO Leak Probed In West Rogers Park Deaths

Authorities are investigating whether a carbon monoxide leak in a West Rogers Park apartment building led to two deaths there Sunday afternoon.

01/28/2013

(File photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Carbon Monoxide Leak Sends 25 Students To Hospitals

About 25 children were hospitalized in good condition after a carbon monoxide leak at a school in the Far South Side Burnside neighborhood Monday afternoon.

11/05/2012

carbon monoxide detector

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Likely Factor In Death Of Yorkville Father, Son

Carbon monoxide poisoning was likely a contributing factor in the death of a 4-year-old boy and his father who were found dead at the father’s Yorkville home.

10/27/2012

Chicago Fire Department

Carbon Monoxide Prompts Evacuation Of Northwest Side Condo Building

A condo building on the city’s Northwest Side was evacuated Wednesday afternoon, after carbon monoxide levels rose into the danger zone.

CBS Chicago–09/05/2012

(File photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Nine Taken To Hospitals From CO Exposure On Far South Side

Nine people — two of them in serious to critical condition — have been taken to hospitals after they were exposed to elevated carbon monoxide levels at a home in the Far South Side South Deering neighborhood Saturday morning.

06/16/2012

carbon monoxide detector

20 Sick From Carbon Monoxide From Grilling In North Side Home

Someone using a grill inside a North Side Kilbourn home Thanksgiving night sickened 13 people due to high carbon monoxide levels.

11/25/2011

Carbon Monoxide Leak

Dog Credited With Saving Family From Carbon Monoxide Leak

A West Englewood neighborhood family is crediting their dog with saving them from a potentially deadly carbon monoxide leak.

CBS Chicago–11/14/2011

Generator

Generators Poison Family, Start Fire In Glenview

Officials have issued a warning to everyone who has, or is using, a generator during the power outages that stemmed from the storms Monday.

CBS Chicago–07/13/2011

The Chicago River (CBS)

Three Hospitalized For Carbon Monoxide Exposure On Boat

Three people were hospitalized Saturday afternoon for exposure to carbon monoxide aboard a boat in the Chicago River in the South Loop.

05/28/2011

carbon monoxide detector

West Siders Overcome By Gas After Using Oven For Heat

Three people went to the hospital Thursday morning after residents of an apartment building used an oven for heat.

02/10/2011

Lisa Lewis, 48, and Thaddis Provall, 43 (Credit: CBS)

Carbon Monoxide Blamed In Death Of Couple

A man and woman were found dead in bed early Friday, and fire officials say high levels of carbon monoxide were found in the home.

01/21/2011

carbon monoxide detector

Man’s Death From Carbon Monoxide Under Investigation

An investigation is underway into the death of a man who apparently succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning in a south chicago home.

WBBM Newsradio–12/12/2010

Faulty Boiler Blamed For 2 Deaths In West Englewood

A man was killed and two others were hospitalized Wednesday morning after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning in the same South Side building where a woman died on Saturday.

11/25/2010

more