(CBS) — He has been in office for just over 2 months, but already pope Francis has put his own personal stamp on the papacy. He has ignored many trappings and traditions while concentrating preaching […]
Another day has come and gone without a decision on when the Catholic Church’s cardinals will gather to elect the next pope.
One day after Pope Benedict resigned, the Vatican is in a state of flux, with no clear indication who among a dozen or more possible contenders might be elected a successor.
The odds that Chicago’s Francis Cardinal George will be the next pope?
Several Chicago area faithful witnessed history at the Vatican on Wednesday at Pope Benedict offered his final papal audience before he steps down.
The Chicago Archdiocese is closing five schools and eliminating 75 staff positions in an effort to save millions of dollars over the next two years.
Cardinal George arrived in Rome on Tuesday to pay homage to the retiring Pope Benedict before turning the attention toward choosing a new leader of the Catholic church.
Chances for an American pope are greater than ever before, Francis Cardinal George tells CBS 2 Chief correspondent Jay Levine.
George says the Pope is a very private person and his public role was the most difficult for him.
Cardinal George on Wednesday started a four-month course of cancer treatment.
Doctors have discovered cancerous cells in Cardinal George’s kidney, the archdiocese announced on Friday.
Francis Cardinal George must submit his resignation to Pope Benedict when he turns 75 Friday, and he wants to make sure that his financial house is in order when he leaves.
In a statement posted Friday on the Archdiocese Website, George said he was ‘deeply sorry for the hurt that my remarks have brought to the hearts of gays and lesbians and their families.’
It’s been a year of ups and downs, highs and lows, for Chicago’s Francis Cardinal George. He talks with CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine.
When Francis Cardinal George turns 75 on Jan. 16, he’s required by church law to hand in his resignation. But after 15 years as Archbishop of Chicago, he’s not ready to step down just yet, CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine reports.
In the latest salvo in a very public battle over the leadership at St. Sabina, members of the church put their thoughts in black and white today–with a full-page advertisement in the Chicago Sun-Times.
Cardinal Francis George on Friday defended his suspension of Father Michael Pfleger, saying it is his job to deal with priests in crisis. CBS 2′s Roseann Tellez reports.
Caught in the middle of the feud between suspended St. Sabina Pastor Michael Pfleger and Cardinal George is one of the priests assigned to fill the gaps in Pfleger’s absence.
Cardinal George on Wednesday suspended Father Michael Pfleger as pastor at St. Sabina’s, expressing frustration at Pfleger’s ongoing public statements regarding his tenuous future in the Chicago Archdiocese.
Thousands of the faithful at the Vatican for Easter on Sunday will remain in Rome for the beatification of Pope John Paul II next week. Hundreds of Chicagoans also plan to make the journey.
- Students Disciplined For ‘Sexting’ Incident At Evanston Township HighIn a letter to parents dated Thursday, District 202 Supt. Eric Witherspoon wrote that girls sent inappropriate photos to members of the varsity baseball team.265
- Cops Crack Down On Retailers Who Sell Stolen GoodsA new law in Illinois is allowing police and retailers to work together to crack down on organized retail theft. CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports.117
- Jury Sides With Donald Trump In Condo Dispute With Woman, 87A federal jury has sided with developer Donald Trump -- not the 87-year-old woman who says she was cheated financially after buying two condominiums at his Trump Tower project.1056
- VIDEO: Guard Allegedly Pushes Dunbar Student Down StairsAn employee at a public high school in the Bronzeville neighborhood has been taken off the job after being recorded on cell phone video pushing a girl down a set of stairs.408
- Concealed Carry Bill Moves To House Floor, But Senate ObjectsA concealed-carry gun deal brokered by House Speaker Michael Madigan cleared a House committee Thursday, but its prospects were unclear across the Capitol in the Senate because of the way it would curb existing local gun laws.165
- Four Hurt In Wrong-Way Crash On Chicago SkywayA 25-year-old man has been cited for driving the wrong way on the Chicago Skyway, after a head-on crash with a pickup truck Thursday morning that sent four people to hospitals.232
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- RT @Millennium_Park: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole … 9 hours ago
- RT @ChicagoDCASE: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole htt… 9 hours ago