Is Jan Terri’s “Losing You” the best representation of Chicago in the form of a music video? Mason Johnson finds out…
Mob Wives Chicago, what does it do for Chicago’s image? Let’s find out…
Chicago celebrates more heritages than most people realize. Latino, German, Polish, Chinese… the list goes on. Out of all the summer festivals, there’s one that seems to get overlooked despite its importance: the Chicago Korean Festival. Being overlooked aside, the Chicago Korean Festival has become one of the largest ethnic festivals in the city. No matter your background, you should check out this great event.
Karaoke! It’s not for the weak. If you want to become a karaoke expert, if you think you have what it takes, this is the article for you.
Having been running music festivals since 2005 (R.I.P. Intonation Festival!), Pitchfork is a saavy crew of promoters at this point. No longer the minor league for Lolla, the fests now regularly trade headliners (Hot Chip and Feist have both played Lolla previously; Vampire Weekend are pulling off the rare Pitchfork-Lolla-Pitchfork appearance) and the audience might be less 20-something face-painted scenesters and more 30-year-olds with blankets. But audience-schmaudience! Let’s talk about the entertainment.
Are you looking to make your heart just a little more happy? Better blood pressure? How about giving your skin a little more TLC? Fortunately the little thing known as chocolate can do all of that for you. Just make sure that it’s dark. Chicago has a few spots around town to help you indulge in that chocolate goodness.
My mom said if I don’t go outside at least five times this month she’ll ground me and I won’t be able to play any videogames. So I made a list. It’s a list of five things I want to do in July. You might like this list. Here it is.
In the barbecue genre, smoked proteins are, and always will be, the big hog on the menu. In many cases, they are dominant to a fault. Other menu items become a distant afterthought, to the point where a side dish may consist of a single, sad slice of discount white bread. Thankfully, some of the best local ‘cue joints are wise to the importance of backing up the headliners with stellar supporting dishes, and adding a gourmet flair to the far corners of the menu. Here are some of the standouts.
You can’t have a Fourth of July without fireworks. Fortunately, Navy Pier isn’t the only place to go to watch them. Many of the Chicago suburbs are also hosting their own displays, many accompanied by food fests and as they say, “fun for the whole family.” (Except that 13-year-old who thinks everything is uncool, including fireworks.)
Honestly, we’re not sure why it took us so long to realize there should be a movie playing outside in a park every day of the summer. You go to the beach, you play some sports, maybe you just grill all day and do cannonballs in the pool, but then you want to gather up and watch a good-timey movie with the gang. We’ve rounded up some of our own favorite Movies in the Parks below!
If you hadn’t noticed, summer has completely and totally arrived to the third coast. And spoiled kids that we are, the city is yet again throwing us a series of free Monday concerts downtown at the magical picnic-place marvel that is the hairnet, er, Jay Pritzker Pavilion. Cut out of work early, bring your good flask and your bad wine, and set up a picnic blanket for this summer’s fine lineup.
Much to my boys’ dismay, we simply cannot spend every minute of daylight each day of summer vacation at the park, the pool or at the beach. There are days we all simply need to relax, and well, the house isn’t self-cleaning and dinner isn’t self-preparing, so even if we table the relaxing idea, there are days (even in the gloriousness of summer vacation) when we simply must be homebound in order to keep alive and partially clean. This is where the backyard comes in…
It’s the season for big-ticket concerts and weekend-long lineups with multi-day passes priced in the hundreds. Luckily, for us cheapskates, summer’s also the season for live music events of the free variety. One of the perks of big city life is there’s plenty of free entertainment, and you don’t have to look too hard to find it. The hefty schedule of outdoor festivals downtown and in the neighborhoods add up nicely to a summer’s worth of live jams on the cheap, and there’s something for every taste. Here are my personal picks for the top local freebie shows for Summer 2012.
CAKE! Chicago Alternative Comics Expo! For the first time in Chicago’s history, all things indie and underground are converging in one convenient place. Whether you’re really into the pictorial word, or just a casual observer, you should stop by this awesome AND FREE event.
With Father’s Day gift-buying guides lurking around seemingly every corner of the Interwebs, I thought adding another one to the mix might be a little like randomly throwing another kid into the Duggar clan; probably no one would take notice…
Big boy burgers are great and all, but sometimes you just want some little, itty-bitty baby burgers to share with some friends (or greedily stuff your own face with). The best sliders in this great city of ours are at these five establishments! Read! Read! Enjoy the Game of Thrones references throughout!
John Madigan, a longtime fixture at CBS 2 and WBBM Newsradio, has died at the age of 94.
- Boy, 17, Fatally Shot In Back Of The YardsA teenage boy was fatally shot in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood Tuesday evening, police said.147
- Police: Man Killed In Jump From Gold Coast BuildingA man jumped to his death early Tuesday from the Gold Coast high-rise building where he lived, authorities said.303
- Police: Man Touches Woman’s Leg At South Loop CTA StationPolice are looking for man who inappropriately touched a woman at a South Loop CTA station Tuesday morning.147
- Rapper Chief Keef Arrested In Georgia Hotel After Staff Smells MarijuanaChicago rapper Chief Keef makes no secret of his fondness for marijuana. The staff at the swanky LeMeridien Atlanta Perimeter hotel doesn’t share that fondness.144
- Florida Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing Of Bears FanA Florida man has pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears take on the Jaguars in October.619
- Man Critically Hurt In Jump From 3rd Floor Of HospitalA man was critically injured after attempting to jump from the window of a hospital Tuesday in the South Side Englewood neighborhood.201
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!