Chicago Botanic Garden
Whether you want to learn about compost or find out how you can save an endangered species, the Chicagoland area has numerous activities planned for Earth Day.
This time of year–winter break after Christmas–most of the parents I know are in search of two things: a way to entertain the troops that does not include TV, and a little warmth. Last year we discovered the wonders of a place that offers both when we ventured to the Chicago Botanic Garden. Since our first trip there, we’ve since become much more acquainted, so here’s a little guide to the garden with kids during the winter.
Hanukkah is not just a time for celebration. It is a deeply spiritual holiday that embodies what it means to stand up for your beliefs and have faith in something bigger than yourself. Chicago may be known for its Christmas holiday events, but there is an abundance of Hanukkah-related celebrations all over the Chicago area.
If looking to get in the holiday spirit this season in Chicago, then attend a fun-filled holiday concert that will bring lasting memories.
Chicago might be known for its summer festivals but fall can be just as exciting for family fun. Check out the great fall family getaways in Chicago and make the most of the changing season.
Looking for the perfect Halloween celebration for the kids? Check out what Chicago Botanic Garden has to offer…
Union Station is now being recognized as one the city’s true architectural gems.
From parties to parades, Chicago offers plenty of Halloween thrills that the entire family can enjoy, including the ones that bark.
From opera to harp, Chicago offers a variety of classical music performances that you’ll definitely want to see.
The last few weeks of summer before school begins can get a little wearisome as both parents and kids alike begin to crave the routine of the school year amid the gradual changing of the season. But these weeks don’t have to drag on without respite; living in the Chicagoland area means we have plenty of activities in which to engage. Here’s a list of some that should make your end-of-the-summer bucket list.
Chicago boasts a variety of activities that include boat rides, gardens, outdoor concerts and nature museums perfect for any family this summer. Whether you live in Winnetka, Wheaton or Wicker Park, Chicago and the suburbs offer a little bit of everything parents need to get the kids out of the house when school lets out.
The Chicago Botanic Garden has been one of our favorite destinations this summer, featuring sneakily hidden biology and botany lessons interwoven with threads of fun, adventure and exploration. With several weeks left in summer break and many months of temperate weather remaining at our doorsteps, don’t neglect to spend some time greening up the family thumbs.
Much of the NATO summit attention so far has surrounded protesters, security, and controversy. But there’s another side to it all – the excitement and pride the event will provide to the city’s various ethnic communities, especially those from smaller countries.
When looking for quality photographic galleries with artwork that allows imaginations to roam, these great Chicago locales come highly recommended.
The last two weekends in April promise to be green in the Chicagoland in so many ways with trees budding and unfurling their leaves and both Earth Day and Arbor Day celebrations in full swing around the city and suburbs. Mark your calendars for Earth Day Sunday, April 22, and Arbor Day Friday, April 27, and take a peak below to plan out how to celebrate our great Earth with the kiddos while teaching them ways to be good stewards of our precious resources.
Though summer seems like a distant dream during February in Chicago, summer camp registration is in full swing! Here’s a list of only a few notable summer camps in the Chicagoland area among the many, many (did I say many? Because I mean many!) camps offered. Be sure to click over to the websites to get all the details of registration, ages and dates!
Valentine’s Day is a wonderful time to show all the loves in your life some special attention. Here’s a list of wonderful, family friendly places to celebrate the day of love with even the smallest people in your family.
So you want to get your garden going, but you’re not sure what to plant. First, you have to learn a key lesson.
The farm dining movement has taken root among foodies all around the country. It’s a pricey endeavor for sure, but also a great option if you‘re looking to celebrate a special occasion.
With almost half a million attendees, the Chicago Pride Parade is one of the biggest in the country. Come show your support for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community at the parade this year in the only manner acceptable: by having fun.
- Two Charged With River North BurglariesTwo people have been charged with burglary in connection with a spate of robberies this month in the River North neighborhood.98
- Portage Theater Closed For NowThe 93-year-old landmark theater at 4050 N. Milwaukee Ave. was shut down on Friday after Ald. John Arena (45th) blocked Carranza’s application for a liquor license, according to Carranza.90
- Man Shot And Killed Inside Hyde Park HomeA murder in Hyde Park, just blocks away from President Barack Obama's home.213
- Noise From Music Fest At Chicagoland Speedway Has Neighbors Up In ArmsMost of the complaints seem to be coming from the east of the Chicagoland Speedway in new Lenox, Frankfort and Mokena as grandstands protect the other three sides.127
- Roseland Hospital Cuts Staff, Salaries To Keep Doors OpenAs it waits to hear if it’ll receive a $7 million bailout to stay open, Roseland Community Hospital laid off almost 70 employees, and other hospital employees will take a pay cut.89
- Rev. Jackson: School Closings UndemocraticOpponents of Chicago school closures are vowing to fight on, but they appear to have little chance of reversing the mayor's agenda... unless a federal judge steps in, reports WBBM's Mike Krauser.90
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!