Chicago City Budget
Chicago aldermen overwhelmingly approved Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s $8.3 billion budget plan on Thursday.
Ald. Sandi Jackson (7th) — who reportedly is under investigation for possible improper campaign finance activities along with her husband, Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. – did not show up for the City Council’s final budget vote on Thursday, two days after the congressman was released from the Mayo Clinic.
As City Council budget hearings continued Wednesday, Mayor Rahm Emanuel was trying to deflect aldermanic calls for more police officers than already planned.
The City Council’s Budget Committee held its first hearing Tuesday on Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s $8.3 billion budget plan for next year.
Members of the Chicago City Council’s self-described “progressive caucus” said the mayor’s office isn’t giving residents enough of a chance to discuss the city budget, so they’ll hold more budget hearings of their own.
I have a subway story to tell you; on the Red Line this morning, the train talk was all about cops, cops, cops, cops. Kind of like President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney talking all about jobs, jobs, jobs.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel said he’s willing to listen to aldermen’s suggestions as they pore over his proposed budget, but there are some ideas the mayor said will generate an instant “no.”
Mayor Emanuel presented a $8.3 billion budget on Wednesday that holds the line on taxes and fees and eliminates a nearly $300 million deficit.
Chicago smokers could face even higher cigarette taxes as Mayor Rahm Emanuel tries to balance his proposed 2013 budget.
- Jail Inmate Charged With Previous Murder, Shooting In RobbinsA Cook County Jail inmate faces new charges in connection with a 2012 murder and a separate 2011 shooting in south suburban Robbins, the Cook County Sheriff’s office announced Saturday.60
- Teen Hurt In Little Village ShootingA 14-year-old boy was shot in the arm Saturday afternoon in the Southwest Side Little Village neighborhood.86
- Man Charged With Videotaping Women In Hospital WashroomA poorly secured cell phone in a west suburban hospital washroom that a man had allegedly set up to secretly videotape women in the toilet area was discovered by a woman when the phone fell to the washroom floor on Friday. She alerted police, who then arrested and charged a 49-year-old Franklin Park man with unlawful videotaping.156
- Young Man Shot Outside Old Orchard Shopping CenterA young man was wounded in a shooting in north suburban Skokie Friday night, outside the Old Orchard Shopping Center.227
- 3 Dead, 8 Shot In Citywide ViolenceThree men were killed and at least eight other people were wounded in violence around the city since Friday night.167
- Orange Line Service Resumes After Train-Pedestrian IncidentCTA commuters were temporarily stymied on the Orange Line during the Friday rush hour after a train fatally struck a man on the tracks.401
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- OREO Text-In Giveaway May 6, 2013The OREO King Size single serve packs are ideal for on the go snacking and sharing. To celebrate OREO King Size packs, text the keyword “OREO” to 67011 to enter for your chance to win a $250 Visa gift card!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!