Chicago Park District
The Emanuel administration has committed $750,000 in leftover NATO Summit funds to offer more nighttime events at city parks this summer.
Celebrating Easter in Chicago should be something for the entire family. Check out some of the Easter-themed activities that cater towards families with children this Easter and make it memorable for everyone, regardless of their age.
While Chicago definitely isn’t lacking in outdoor activities during the summer, it can be helpful to give your teens some structure during their summer break.
The concert venue at Northerly Island could take on a “Ravinia-type feel” if Chicago Park District plans are approved this week to create lawn seating that would accommodate 22,000 people.
The gifts are unwrapped, and soon the pine needles will starting to fall to the floor, meaning it’s almost time to plan for the removal of your Christmas tree.
This week’s unseasonably warm weather may be perfect for Thanksgiving Day football games, but it’s a little too warm for Chicago’s outdoor ice skating rinks.
Halloween and Christmas aren’t the only holidays with numerous activities for families in Chicago. Thanksgiving events and celebrations are a great way to enjoy the holiday with your family while spending quality time and giving thanks.
On Sunday night, as the rain poured down at Soldier Field, the Bears and the Texans slipped and slogged their way to a 13-6 final score as ugly as an offensive lineman’s backside.
A $6.5 million combination of NATO legacy and Chicago Park District capital funds will be invested in neighborhood and transformative park projects across the city, Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced on Saturday.
The average price for regular unleaded in Chicago is $4.45 a gallon, 60 cents more than the national average of $3.85, according to AAA. But CBS 2’s Mike Parker found gas selling for $2.65 a gallon. It’s not your typical gas, it’s compressed natural gas, and it could save you a bundle.
Construction will begin this fall to turn Northerly Island – the onetime site of Meigs Field – into a new hub for urban camping.
Safety concerns from high waves and rip currents have caused Evanston to close its beaches for a second day in a row.
If your playgroup’s usual location is feeling “played out” with summer well underway, now is the perfect time to get creative with new locations. Whether it’s exploring nature, unwinding in a café, getting hands-on with history or seeing animals up close, the Chicagoland area offers a variety of museums, zoos and parks that can make the dog days of summer more enjoyable. Pack a lunch, grab your sunscreen and get ready to have fun with your playgroup in a new meetup destination.
The inaugural Hockey City Classic will pit Notre Dame against Miami (Ohio) and Wisconsin against Minnesota in a doubleheader.
Love films and movies? Try going to some of the best places to see them in Chicago.
Honestly, we’re not sure why it took us so long to realize there should be a movie playing outside in a park every day of the summer. You go to the beach, you play some sports, maybe you just grill all day and do cannonballs in the pool, but then you want to gather up and watch a good-timey movie with the gang. We’ve rounded up some of our own favorite Movies in the Parks below!
Six Chicago Park District outdoor swimming pools throughout the city opened Sunday after being closed for repairs.
Chicago got a scorcher Monday, with a heat index that made it feel like 100 degrees.
The Chicago Park District has been replacing drains–and doing other repairs–on all its pools and the work has not been completed at some facilities. Officials hope to get all the pools open by next week.
Chicago is blessed with well-maintained public parks, but not all picnic spots are created equal. With beautiful summer weather warming up the city, packing a picnic might just be the ticket to a perfect season. From scenic to secluded, Chicago’s best picnic spots offer a little bit of all things ambiance.
- History Of Tornadoes In Chicago AreaThe massive EF-4 tornado to hit Moore, Okla., is very rare, but twisters with that kind of force have hit the Chicago area in the past, and have been extremely deadly.307
- High School Duo Has Never Missed A Day Of ClassThey say no one's perfect, but one school in the far southwestern suburbs has not just one, but two students who have achieved perfection in one area.136
- Deadly Oklahoma Tornado Serves As Reminder To Prepare For Disasters“Tornado sheltering basics involved three steps – get in, get down and cover-up. The overall goal is to avoid flying and falling debris by putting as many barriers between you and the tornado as possible,” according to one expert at the National Weather Service in Norman, Oklahoma.121
- Lightning Strikes Damage Two Homes OvernightAt least two homes in the Chicago area were struck by lightning overnight as heavy thunderstorms plowed through the region.198
- Police Seek Help Identifying Female Homicide VictimPolice are asking for help to identify the body of woman or teen girl found strangled and badly burned in a Northwest Side Avondale neighborhood Dumpster Sunday night.137
- Chicago Red Cross Joining Tornado Relief Effort In OklahomaThe American Red Cross of Greater Chicago has begun mobilizing to help with the relief effort in Oklahoma, after a devastating tornado killed dozens of people.362
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!