Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle said the projected $25 million in new annual revenue from the tax increase will go to the county’s hospitals and health centers, which treat more than 300 lung cancer patients each year.
Cook County investigators have been raiding stores across the county that have been breaking the law, and ripping off taxpayers of millions of dollars, by selling cigarettes without proper taxes.
The cost of smoking, buying guns, and playing the slots in Cook County will be going up next year, but the county is also getting rid of the final portion of the hated 2008 sales tax hike.
County Board President Toni Preckwinkle said Tuesday that she’s not simply trying to raise revenue by seeking a $1-per-pack cigarette tax hike, she’s trying to save lives.
Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle’s budget plan relies on new or higher taxes on cigarettes, ammunition, guns, and gambling machines, but also fulfills her 2010 campaign pledge to eliminate an unpopular sales tax hike enacted by her predecessor.
The Emanuel Administration says it’s seeing an increase in tax revenues, and that is improving the City’s budget picture, at least a bit.
Chicago smokers could face even higher cigarette taxes as Mayor Rahm Emanuel tries to balance his proposed 2013 budget.
Illinois smokers are bracing for a $1-per-pack increase on cigarette taxes that takes effect Sunday, with many trying to stock up and others vowing to kick the habit.
Gov. Pat Quinn has signed a bill to help the state’s struggling Medicaid program, but critics are convinced the budget solution will do more harm than good.
A recent hike in the Illinois cigarette state excise tax appears to be causing a run on cigarettes.
Illinois lawmakers have approved a $1 per pack cigarette tax increase to help fill a gaping Medicaid budget hole, and the governor has indicated he’ll sign it quickly when it reaches his desk.
The days of saving money by using a “roll your own” cigarette machine could be over in Illinois.
Two Cook County revenue investigators have been fired for allegedly accepting “thousands” of dollars in bribes — hush money from convenience stores and other outlets selling cigarettes without paying the local tobacco tax.
The Illinois House has rejected a proposal to raise cigarette taxes by $1 a pack.
- Body Found In Lake Is Missing U Of C StudentAuthorities have confirmed the body found in Lake Michigan early Wednesday belonged to a University of Chicago student who has been missing for a week.692
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.5989
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!