A Chicago alderman is calling for a rollback on city and county cigarette taxes as a way to cut crime.
Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle said the projected $25 million in new annual revenue from the tax increase will go to the county’s hospitals and health centers, which treat more than 300 lung cancer patients each year.
If your New Year’s resolution is to quit smoking, there are a number of incentives.
The Cook County Board Finance Committee on Friday approved $41.7 million in new tax levies, including a controversial $25 tax on the sale of a gun anywhere in the county, and a $1-a-pack increase in the cigarette tax.
County Board President Toni Preckwinkle said Tuesday that she’s not simply trying to raise revenue by seeking a $1-per-pack cigarette tax hike, she’s trying to save lives.
The City of Chicago may be facing a budget deficit of as much as $369 million next year, and reports are now surfacing that Mayor Rahm Emanuel may be looking at raising some taxes to close the gap.
Illinois smokers are bracing for a $1-per-pack increase on cigarette taxes that takes effect Sunday, with many trying to stock up and others vowing to kick the habit.
Gov. Pat Quinn has signed a bill to help the state’s struggling Medicaid program, but critics are convinced the budget solution will do more harm than good.
Trying to save $2.7 billion on Medicaid costs, Gov. Pat Quinn said Thursday his job is to tell lawmakers not what they want to hear, but what they need to hear.
Illinois State Senate President John Cullerton (D-Chicago) is seeking a $1 per pack increase in the state cigarette tax to generate funds for a major public works program.
Smokers will see an increase in the price of their habit soon, if the Illinois Coalition against Tobacco gets its way.
- Boy, 17, Fatally Shot In Back Of The YardsA teenage boy was fatally shot in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood Tuesday evening, police said.147
- Police: Man Killed In Jump From Gold Coast BuildingA man jumped to his death early Tuesday from the Gold Coast high-rise building where he lived, authorities said.303
- Police: Man Touches Woman’s Leg At South Loop CTA StationPolice are looking for man who inappropriately touched a woman at a South Loop CTA station Tuesday morning.147
- Rapper Chief Keef Arrested In Georgia Hotel After Staff Smells MarijuanaChicago rapper Chief Keef makes no secret of his fondness for marijuana. The staff at the swanky LeMeridien Atlanta Perimeter hotel doesn’t share that fondness.144
- Florida Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing Of Bears FanA Florida man has pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears take on the Jaguars in October.619
- Man Critically Hurt In Jump From 3rd Floor Of HospitalA man was critically injured after attempting to jump from the window of a hospital Tuesday in the South Side Englewood neighborhood.201
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!