Chicago smokers could face even higher cigarette taxes as Mayor Rahm Emanuel tries to balance his proposed 2013 budget.
The City of Chicago may be facing a budget deficit of as much as $369 million next year, and reports are now surfacing that Mayor Rahm Emanuel may be looking at raising some taxes to close the gap.
As he prepares to unveil his preliminary 2013 budget today, Mayor Rahm Emanuel says he’s managed to cut the projected deficit in half.
Just one more day remains before the City Council votes on Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s first budget proposal.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel was experiencing a first on Wednesday – pushback from a majority of Chicago aldermen. It’s all over his budget plan for 2012.
Powerful City Council Finance Committee Chairman Edward Burke (14th) is again suggesting a cab fare surcharge to help boost city revenues.
“We can start shaping our city’s future or let it shape us,” Mayor Rahm Emanuel said as he unveiled a budget that will close three police stations, double water rates, and raise several other fees.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel is planning to raise several fines and fees imposed by the city of Chicago, while avoiding any tax hikes to balance a $600 million budget shortfall for next year. The mayor also reportedly plans to call for closing three police district stations and merge five police detective areas into three areas.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel revealed Wednesday that he plans to move forward with a controversial tax plan from his campaign for mayor – cutting the city’s sales tax, but applying it to several services that now go untaxed.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel is expected to eliminate the city’s Department of Environment as he continues to prepare his plan to close a projected $637 million budget shortfall.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel got another earful from concerned Chicagoans at the second town hall meeting this week to discuss the city budget.
The feisty fired traffic aide who stood up to Mayor Rahm Emanuel at his city budget town meeting Monday night, is now telling more of her story to CBS 2.
The first of several town hall meetings on Chicago’s city budget became heated Monday as Mayor Rahm Emanuel went nose to nose with some critics who challenge areas he has cut.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel touted a number of accomplishments he’s made in his first 100 days in office, but said those successes were just a “down payment” on his campaign promises to overhaul city government.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel is reaffirming his opposition to raising taxes to close the City of Chicago’s $635.7 million budget shortfall.
Questions about the economy constitute a new threat to Chicago’s already shaky financial picture. As CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine reports, Mayor Rahm Emanuel has been working on the city’s 2012 budget, trying to figure out how to eliminate a $600 million deficit.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel is encouraging Chicago residents to go online and give their ideas for how the city could save money.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel asked for Chicago residents’ help in coming up with ways to balance the budget and the people have responded. More than 2,000 people have posted ideas on the city’s website. CBS 2 has learned that the mayor has now begun reaching out to those offering the most promising ideas.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel has backed off on a threat to lay off 625 city workers earlier this week, instead going ahead with $20 million in budget cuts that don’t affect union jobs.
On his first full day in office, Mayor Rahm Emanuel is already tackling the top items on his agenda – including big budget cuts.
- 25 Years Ago, Laurie Dann Went On Deadly Rampage On North ShoreIt was 25 years ago today when a tragedy unfolded in Winnetka.246
- Neighbor’s Dog Seriously Injures 9-Year-Old BoyA nephew of the dog owner was able to pull the animal off the boy, who suffered bites to his arms and legs.321
- Storms Likely On Monday Afternoon, EveningWarm, humid air over Chicago is likely to create some strong, isolated thunderstorms around the evening rush hour on Monday.431
- Three Teens Arrested After Large Fight On Lakefront On South SideThree teens were arrested on Sunday, after police broke up a large fight along the lakefront in the Jackson Park neighborhood.337
- Charred Body Found In Dumpster After Fire ExtinguishedAbout 11:05 p.m. firefighters were called to the 3100 block of North Kimball Avenue in the Avondale neighborhood after receiving a report of a dumpster blaze in a nearby alley.156
- 5 Dead, 18 Wounded In Weekend ViolenceFive people have been killed and at least 18 others wounded — including a 12-year-old boy left in critical condition — in shootings across the city since Friday night.7474
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!