The long list of people the state owes money to could nearly triple in five years, if lawmakers don’t get costs under control, according to a local budget watchdog group.
Chicago Public School officials have unveiled their budget plan for next school year, seeking to fill a $665 million deficit with a property tax hike, personnel cuts and some one-time revenue.
A report being released Monday contains troubling news about the Chicago pension plans covering various municipal employees.
A new voice and a new website were added Monday to the effort to avert what appears to be the potential collapse of Illinois public employee pension funds. CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine reports.
The Civic Federation is proposing a legal standard for nonprofit hospitals to qualify for property tax exemptions.
A spokeswoman says Gov. Pat Quinn wants to address the problem of skyrocketing Medicaid costs in Illinois, but state legislators are not cooperating.
Ahead of Gov. Pat Quinn’s state of the state address this Wednesday and his budget address next month, a tax watchdog group is sounding the alarm about Illinois’ looming financial disaster.
Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle’s proposed 2012 budget is getting high marks from a noted government watchdog.
It’s a cruel reality. Property taxes are up all over Chicagoland, according to a new report. In the city and suburb after suburb, property values are dropping, but tax levies for schools and services are going up.
Cook County is going to see more layoffs and red ink, but a Chicago budget watchdog says the situation seems to be improving.
How many city workers does it take to change a light bulb? Sounds like a joke right? But it’s not funny when it’s our tax dollars being wasted.
A tax watchdog group claims Gov. Pat Quinn is not being realistic in how deep in the red the state’s finances are.
The head of the government watchdog group the Civic Federation says the Chicago City Council is going to have to show some strength if Chicago is to truly bring its budget under control.
A new report by an independent research group outlines the financial crisis facing Chicago’s next mayor and City Council.
Yet another warning has been issued about Chicago’s looming public pension crisis.
Gov. Pat Quinn and legislative leaders in Springfield have been meeting repeatedly this week, trying to hammer out an agreement that would raise the state’s income tax in an effort to solve a massive budget deficit.
A taxpayer watchdog group is out with a recommendation – simplify Cook County’s complicated property tax system.
- The List: Chicago Schools To Be ClosedThe Chicago School Board voted to close 49 underutilized or underperforming elementary schools on Wednesday as part of a plan to close a $1 billion budget deficit.492
- Board Votes To Close 49 Chicago Elementary SchoolsThe Chicago Board of Education on Wednesday voted to close 49 elementary schools, in what is believed to be the biggest single mass shutdown of schools in U.S. history.4834
- Lockdown Lifted At Morton West High SchoolMorton West High School has been placed on lock down for precautionary reasons after an unknown individual entered the building.558
- Former Glenbard East Student Accused Of Planning Columbine-Type AttackA 19-year-old former student at Glenbard East High School in Lombard was in custody on Wednesday, accused of planning a "Columbine-style" attack on the school, with a list of people he wanted to target.561
- Woman Robs North Side BankA woman robbed a Lakeview bank Tuesday afternoon on the city’s North Side.262
- Four Schools To Be Spared From Closing; Another To Be DelayedHours before a final vote by the Chicago Board of Education, Chicago Public Schools officials have agreed to back off of plans to close four of the 53 elementary schools targeted for closing at the end of the school year, Board Vice President Jesse Ruiz confirmed Wednesday morning.415
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!