An Illinois judge is barring Gov. Quinn’s plan to close two prisons, at least for now, citing safety concerns.
Gov. Pat Quinn has officially abandoned his hope of shutting down some Illinois prison facilities by the end of the week, according to a Corrections Department letter obtained Monday by The Associated Press.
Zero Hour arrives at midnight Friday, shutting down South Lake Shore Driver through the weekend.
Increased security, street closures and uncertainty about protests has companies such as Blue Cross/Blue Shield telling its workers to telecommute on May 18 and 20.
Nearly two dozen people were arrested overnight, after a protest at a mental health clinic in the South Side’s Woodlawn neighborhood.
The Chicago Board of Education has voted to close seven public schools next school year and “turn around” 10 other schools, despite vehement objections from many parents, teachers and community members.
It’s going to be painful. Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn was putting the finishing touches Tuesday night on what can only be called a bad news budget; one which might stop the bleeding, but does little to treat the wound.
Former patients, community groups and officials of hospitals in the south suburbs on Tuesday asked a legislative committee not to close the Tinley Park Mental Health Center.
It’s only a recommendation, but a legislative panel says four state facilities targeted by the governor for closure should stay open.
An arbitrator has ruled that Gov. Pat Quinn may not lay off more than 1,900 state employees and close seven state facilities, because the move would violate a deal with a state labor union.
Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan said he is open to reallocating state budget money to avoid numerous layoffs and facility closures proposed last week by Gov. Pat Quinn.
Gov. Pat Quinn said Thursday that he is moving to lay off more than 1,900 state employees and close seven state facilities , blaming Illinois lawmakers for sending him a budget that had $2.2 billion less in revenue than he wanted.
The Blizzard of 2011 is prompting officials to close museums, schools and other institutions and cancel events. Here is a list of cancellations and early closings that have been announced.
CHICAGO (STMW) – The following locations will be closed Monday in observance of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, a federal and state holiday:
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Bakery Blunder Makes ‘Cat Cake’ A Viral SensationOf all the cat memes on the Internet, this one takes the cake.900
- Search Dog Tracks Missing Student To LakefrontVolunteers, friends and family were out in force Tuesday morning, resuming the search for a missing University of Chicago student.586
- Initial Tests ID Glittery Substance Along BeachIndiana environmental officials were investigating whether a Porter County manufacturer was responsible for a slick of glittery material that kept many swimmers out of Porter Beach on Monday.1095
- Weekend Death Toll Rises To 8 After Two Men Die Of Gunshot InjuriesTwo men critically wounded in weekend shootings died Monday, raising the death toll for 2013’s most violent weekend to eight. At least 39 other people were wounded in shootings across the city, authorities said.163
- Mystery Substance Prompts Closure Of Indiana BeachSwimmers have been ordered out of Lake Michigan at Porter Beach because of a substance in the water. WBBM's Nancy Harty has more.6566
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!