Down on the South Side – not unlike Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster and Area 51 – U.S. Cellular Field continues to be a mystery as the ballpark once again this season served as the Bermuda Triangle of Major League Baseball.
With a downtown baseball stadium and a South Side enclosed-roof football facility, Chicago could have spent the past two decades hosting Super Bowls and Final Fours – as well as large crowds at White Sox games.
Here’s a look at some of the most memorable Chicago moments. For the purpose of this story, we are looking at either key games played in Chicago or contributions by Chicago players.
Even the most seasoned baseball observers among you might not realize that, in spite of that White Sox title in 2005, Chicago still remains a championship graveyard.
Major League Baseball has a problem. Let’s call it the “Some-Star” Game. On Sunday, MLB announced that 16 All-Stars won’t be playing in Tuesday’s game, including 13 of the 68 originally chosen.
Every so often, a party goes off without a hitch and everyone has a great time. Such was the case of the 50th Anniversary All-Star Game played on this day in 1983.
On April 18, 1991, the White Sox were coming off a successful 6-1 road trip to start the season. Moreover, they were just a few months removed from a 94 win campaign when they challenged Oakland for the AL West crown.
Twenty years ago today President George W. Bush was basking in high approval ratings following the first Gulf War, Cheers was the popular TV show in the land, and a new era started for the Chicago White Sox.
This is the anniversary of two momentous occasions in White Sox history.
There are times Ozzie Guillen drives you up the wall with inane statements. Then there are the times he is absolutely right. Yesterday, Ozzie hit the nail on the head.
From food to seats, check out the best of U.S. Cellular Field.
- Some People You Should Know: The MelodeersIt all began when barbershop patrons started singing while waiting to get their hair cut. A century or so later, the Melodeers chorus is taking the music to a dazzling new height with 140 ladies singing in unaccompanied four-part harmony. CBS 2's Harry Porterfield reports.155
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Man Found Shot To Death In Zion Supermarket Parking LotThe man found shot to death in a parking in north suburban Zion on Thursday afternoon has been identified as a Waukegan resident.152
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!