Mike Matheny is the ideal champion of a noble cause, and he has decided to take up the fight.
State Rep. Carol Sente (D-Vernon Hills) said conversations with Northbrook neurologist Dr. Larry Robbins led to her increased concern about young athletes taking repeated hits to the head.
He was thrown through the air, and slammed head first to the ground. Former Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon said he always knew his body would be beaten up by playing football, but he said he did not know the extent of damage being done to his brain.
NFL general counsel Jeff Pash says he expects independent neurological consultants to be on sidelines during games next season to help diagnose and treat concussions.
It’s a breakthrough that could help save the lives of athletes who play contact sports. Research conducted partially in Chicago has found a way to diagnose a devastating brain disease for the first time, while the athlete is still alive.
Doctors and researchers may no longer have to wait until a football players dies to find the affects of concussions in their brains.
With time winding down in the second quarter, Bears quarterback Jay Cutler was drilled by Texans linebacker Tim Dobbins, ultimately leading to Cutler’s exit from the game.
The Big Ten and the Ivy League have announced plans to combine research efforts devoted to studying head injuries in sports.
The headlines about concussions are everywhere these days; soldiers suffering traumatic brain injuries linked to concussions, or the speculation that football star Junior Seau might have committed suicide after suffering from them.
Toews has already missed five games, having played perhaps as many as six games with a suspected concussion.
The family of former Chicago Bears player Dave Duerson said Thursday that the Super Bowl champion would still be alive today, if not what they claim was an NFL conspiracy to cover up the dangers of concussions.
In January 2011, the city of Chicago passed some of the most strict concussion legislation in the country, but it was just the beginning, as there are several efforts afoot to protect school-aged athletes from serious brain injuries.
The latest research shows repeated head trauma can cause irreparable brain disease. As CBS 2’s Rob Johnson reports, for parents whose kids are active, this can be extremely troubling, especially when you consider that almost any sport can leave your child with a concussion.
Commissioner Roger Goodell stood before the media at his annual Super Bowl state-of-the-league speech, and sounded as if he cared when addressing issues of player safety.
With the recent report that Brian Urlacher will do just about whatever it takes to be healthy enough to play on Sundays, one NFL expert thinks players need to understand the severity of injuries.
A lawsuit by 75 former NFL football players claims the league tried to hide the effects of concussions for 90 years, according to published reports.
The NHL just signed a new 10-year TV deal worth $2 billion. To show his appreciation for all those who made it possible, Commissioner Gary Bettman instructed club officials to share the news with concussed players by holding up two fingers in front of their faces.
NEW YORK (AP) — A puzzling decision to let Eagles linebacker Stewart Bradley back into the season opener led to significant improvement in the detection and treatment of concussions during the rest of the 2010 […]
If you’re hoping to watch hard football hits on your TV, you may want to hang on to your current copies of “Madden NFL” for whatever video game system you own. The seriousness of concussions is obvious and EA Sports wants to keep the safety influences in future “Madden” games.
Major League Baseball and the players union have added a new seven-day disabled list for players suffering from a concussions, the shorter DL is part of new protocols for dealing with those injuries.
- Students Disciplined For ‘Sexting’ Incident At Evanston Township HighIn a letter to parents dated Thursday, District 202 Supt. Eric Witherspoon wrote that girls sent inappropriate photos to members of the varsity baseball team.265
- Cops Crack Down On Retailers Who Sell Stolen GoodsA new law in Illinois is allowing police and retailers to work together to crack down on organized retail theft. CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports.117
- Jury Sides With Donald Trump In Condo Dispute With Woman, 87A federal jury has sided with developer Donald Trump -- not the 87-year-old woman who says she was cheated financially after buying two condominiums at his Trump Tower project.1056
- VIDEO: Guard Allegedly Pushes Dunbar Student Down StairsAn employee at a public high school in the Bronzeville neighborhood has been taken off the job after being recorded on cell phone video pushing a girl down a set of stairs.408
- Concealed Carry Bill Moves To House Floor, But Senate ObjectsA concealed-carry gun deal brokered by House Speaker Michael Madigan cleared a House committee Thursday, but its prospects were unclear across the Capitol in the Senate because of the way it would curb existing local gun laws.165
- Four Hurt In Wrong-Way Crash On Chicago SkywayA 25-year-old man has been cited for driving the wrong way on the Chicago Skyway, after a head-on crash with a pickup truck Thursday morning that sent four people to hospitals.232
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- RT @Millennium_Park: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole … 8 hours ago
- RT @ChicagoDCASE: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole htt… 8 hours ago