In the March 9 game agaisnt the Tampa By Lightning, Chicago Blackhawks’ center Dave Bolland took an elbow to the head and has missed every game since, with what is suspected to be a concussion.
The NHL has set new rules for treatment of concussions, according to a published report.
Head injuries have been a major concern in sports recently and the next stop for concussion safety looks like the NBA. An independent neurologist is working with the NBA to put some concussion policies in place and they could be in place by next season.
Progress is being made regarding head trauma and concussions in sports, it’s just taken longer than it should.
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said he wants to change the “culture of football” with respect to player safety. His next push in achieving this is to convince government to pass new laws in order to spread that safety on the field to our youth.
Former Chicago Bear Kurt Becker was in Springfield this week, testifying for legislation to promote education on concussions for teens and their parents.
The Bears great is among a growing number, including Chicago City Council members, who support safeguards that protect athletes.
A crackdown on allowing student athletes with concussions to go on playing sports is expected to get the green light at a City Council meeting today.
The NFL has started to take head injures much more serious this season. Players are being held out of games that, in the past, they would have played in. Recent data, that was received by the Associated Press, points to the fact the concussions are being reported more frequently and are being taken more seriously.
Earlier in the season, the hot topic around the NFL was the effect of concussions on players. And as a result, the dangers of the game became more visible
Ray Anderson, the NFL’s executive in charge of watching over illegal hits, was pleased that there were no such penalties called on Sunday. The league made it a major issue to explain penalties and punishments over the course of last week.
While the NFL is trying to reduce concussions in football, the MLB is changing their rules on the injury as well. Major League Baseball could adopt a new 7-day disabled list just for concussions.
Could concussions put an end to football as we know it? CBS 2’s Bill Kurtis reports.
What’s so interesting about this Bears team is that it still allows one to see what one wants, irrespective of the spotless record. Take today’s Tribune, for instance, which offers a stark divergence of opinion in […]
- Body Found In Lake Is Missing U Of C StudentAuthorities have confirmed the body found in Lake Michigan early Wednesday belonged to a University of Chicago student who has been missing for a week.573
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.5989
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!