Cook County Budget
The cost of smoking, buying guns, and playing the slots in Cook County will be going up next year, but the county is also getting rid of the final portion of the hated 2008 sales tax hike.
Cook County gun owners have dodged a bullet, as County Board President Tony Preckwinkle has dropped her plan to impose a new ammunition tax to help balance the budget.
Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle’s budget plan relies on new or higher taxes on cigarettes, ammunition, guns, and gambling machines, but also fulfills her 2010 campaign pledge to eliminate an unpopular sales tax hike enacted by her predecessor.
Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle is apparently considering targeted tax and fee increases and cost cutting to close a $115 million deficit in next year’s county budget.
A key Cook County committee has endorsed County Board President Toni Preckwinkle’s plan to raise alcohol taxes as part of next year’s budget plan.
Stop picking on the liquor industry – that was the message Sunday afternoon at a popular Chicago watering hole.
Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle has backed down from her proposal to require jurors and some law enforcement members to pay for parking in courthouse garages.
CHICAGO (CBS) – Cook County has begun sending out nearly 100 layoff notices, the first round of more than 1,000 layoffs that Board President Toni Preckwinkle has proposed for next year. A spokesman for Preckwinkle […]
Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle has proposed a first-ever fee for parking at the county’s criminal courthouses, as well as a $150 fee on residents of unincorporated areas for county police protection as part of her budget plan for next year.
Businesspeople, county employees and the public lined up Thursday night for the chance to voice opinions on next year’s Cook County budget.
Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle has outlined preliminary budget estimates that show county government still swimming in red ink.
Cook County is going to see more layoffs and red ink, but a Chicago budget watchdog says the situation seems to be improving.
- Rapper Chief Keef Arrested In Georgia Hotel After Staff Smells MarijuanaChicago rapper Chief Keef makes no secret of his fondness for marijuana. The staff at the swanky LeMeridien Atlanta Perimeter hotel doesn’t share that fondness.144
- Florida Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing Of Bears FanA Florida man has pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears take on the Jaguars in October.619
- Man Critically Hurt In Jump From 3rd Floor Of HospitalA man was critically injured after attempting to jump from the window of a hospital Tuesday in the South Side Englewood neighborhood.201
- History Of Tornadoes In Chicago AreaTwisters with that kind of force that flattened Moore, Okla., have hit the Chicago area in the past, and have been extremely deadly.593
- Local Storm Chaser Describes ‘Sickening, Deafening Roar’ Of Oklahoma TornadoA south suburban man whose hobby is chasing storms was in Moore, Okla., on Monday when a massive tornado devastated the town, killing at least 24 people.224
- High School Duo Has Never Missed A Day Of ClassThey say no one's perfect, but one school in the far southwestern suburbs has not just one, but two students who have achieved perfection in one area.136
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!