Cook County Commissioner
Democratic bosses in Cook County have chosen Stanley Moore, a former state transportation official, to replace convicted County Commissioner William Beavers, even though Moore had recent ethics issues of his own.
Federal prosecutors told a jury Thursday there’s no evidence Cook County Commissioner William Beavers was taking out a loan from his campaign fund for personal expenses, but the defense argued the prosecution was trying to “bamboozle” jurors.
At worse than 100 to 1, the odds of a randomly-selected jury pool in Chicago containing not a single black man might make even the most compulsive gambler cringe.
Judge James Zagel says prosecutors can broach a 2005 return that included a letter in which Beavers acknowledges $43,000 in campaign money as income. Zagel says it goes to prosecutors’ argument that Beavers understood the requirement to report such money.
After being delayed for more than three months, the start of Cook County Commissioner William Beavers’ tax trial was off to a slow start Monday, when jury selection was pushed back a day to iron out the questions jurors will be asked.
Jury selection at the trial of a Chicago politician accused of misusing campaign funds has been delayed until next year.
A federal judge has barred Cook County Commissioner William Beavers from telling jurors at his tax evasion trial that he repaid campaign funds he borrowed after he learned of a federal investigation, unless Beavers takes the stand.
A federal judge said Thursday that Cook County Commissioner William Beavers can’t tell the jury at his upcoming tax evasion trial that he shot down a request from federal prosecutors to wear a wire as part of an investigation of another prominent Chicago politician.
Cook County Commissioner William Beavers will go on trial before the end of the year on federal tax invasion charges, alleging he failed to declare more than $200,000 in campaign funds as earnings.
One of the latest Chicago politicians in legal hot water hosted a fundraiser Monday night to raise money for his criminal defense. CBS 2′s Mike Parker reports.
A busload of Chicago Public Schools students set up shop outside the Cook County Juvenile Center on Monday, to suggest that’s where they’ll end up, unless CPS eases its disciplinary policies.
CBS 2′s Walter Jacobson wonder’s if Bill Beavers was serious when the indicted county official said federal prosecutors wanted him to wear a wire to nab John Daley, the former mayor’s brother.
The Cook County Board on Thursday is holding its first meeting since Commissioner William Beavers (D-4th) was indicted by federal authorities on tax fraud charges.
Cook County Commissioner William Beavers will be arraigned Friday on tax evasion charges for allegedly failing to report and pay taxes on income he earned by using campaign funds and county expense accounts for personal use.
A day after he was indicted on federal tax evasion charges, Cook County Commissioner William Beavers had a message for U.S Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald.
Cook County Commissioner William Beavers was indicted Thursday on allegations he failed to pay income taxes on tens of thousands of dollars of campaign cash that he used for personal reasons, but he claimed the feds targeted him because he refused to wear a wire targeting fellow Commissioner John Daley.
Cook County commissioners have approved a measure that will give them the final say in whether major entertainment events like Lollapalooza will get an exemption from the county’s amusement tax.
A key Cook County committee has endorsed County Board President Toni Preckwinkle’s plan to raise alcohol taxes as part of next year’s budget plan.
Former Cook County Commissioner Tony Peraica was tossed in jail for a brief time on Tuesday, after showing up late for a hearing in a misdemeanor case against him.
Cook County Commissioner John Fritchey said Monday that the county could save $1 million a year by eliminating the office of the County Recorder of Deeds and folding its duties into the County Clerk’s Office.
- Divers Pull Body From Lake Michigan On South SideA young man's body has been pulled from Lake Michigan, not far from where a missing University of Chicago student is believed to have been when he vanished during last week's thunderstorms.405
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.5351
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!