For the second day in a row, opponents of Chicago Public School closures marched near those buildings slated to be shuttered, reports WBBM’s Nancy Harty.
Chicago teachers are taking to the streets staging protest rallies and marches for three days over the mayor’s plans to close more than fifty schools, reports WBBM’s Mike Krauser.
The Chicago Teachers’ Union has re-elected Karen Lewis to another term as president with over 80 percent of the rank-and-file vote.
Chicago teachers are in the planning stages of a massive three-day walk to protest a decision to close 53 schools. Participants plan to march to each of the targeted buildings on May 18, 19 and 20.
To hear Chicago Teacher’s Union President Karen Lewis tell it, we should believe nothing that the mayor and school officials say about the plan to close more than fifty schools. She spoke at the Rainbow-Push Coalition this morning, reports WBBM’s Mike Krauser.
The Commission on School Utilization issued it’s final report today, stating that Chicago Public Schools has the capacity to consolidate approximately 80 schools rather than the 129 it initially reported.
It’s been a week of teacher-less school, and an end to the strike can’t come soon enough for parents and some students.CBS 2’s Mai Martinez reports.
CBS 2’s Courtney Gousman has the story of Catherine Wolski’s extraordinary turnaround.
CBS 2′s Derrick Blakley talks with a variety of people who would love to see schools reopen for classes.
The Chicago teachers’ strike will head into its third day on Wednesday, after the latest round of talks ended Tuesday night without a deal to bring teachers back to work, and the head of the Chicago Teachers Union describing the two sides as “kilometers apart.”
Chicago Teachers Union officials say they are “disappointed” in the way contract negotiations went Friday with school officials and went home for the night, as a teachers strike loomed for Monday.
If a deal is not hammered out, teachers could walk off the job as soon as Sept. 10.
If you think negotiations with Chicago teachers were tough, wait until you see what happens when the city sits down with representatives for police and firefighters. CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine reports.
The earliest teachers could strike is Aug. 18 after a 30-day cooling off period. CBS 2′s Dana Kozlov reports.
In recent months, Chicago Public Schools administrators and the Chicago Teachers Union haven’t been able to agree on much of anything. On Monday, they couldn’t even agree on whether a key report on their ongoing contract dispute had been released.
More than 90 percent of teachers in the Chicago Public Schools voted to authorize a strike this week, in a move that the Chicago Teachers Union believes will provide a leg up in negotiations starting next month.
CBS 2′s Walter Jacobson says the Chicago Board of Education and the Chicago Teachers Union should stop acting like children.
Chicago Public Schools chief executive officer Jean-Claude Brizard says he wants teachers to have a raise, and is asking the Chicago Teachers Union to hold off on its strike authorization vote set for this coming Wednesday.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel is denying an accusation from the head of the teachers union that he ever made comments suggesting he has given up on some Chicago Public schoolchildren.
Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis apologized for some remarks she made to a group in Seattle last month, but she stood by those comments and blamed right-wing bloggers for publicizing them.
- Woman Disputes Story Of Chicago Cop Who Shot Her DogTensions are boiling over in the Norwood Park neighborhood on Chicago's Northwest Side where an off-duty Chicago police officer shot and killed a dog, reports WBBM's Nancy Harty.189
- 3 Critically Hurt In Kennedy CrashThree people were critically injured in a crash on the Kennedy Expressway on the Northwest Side Sunday morning.271
- Woman Found Dead At O’HareA woman was found dead near a bus stop at O’Hare International Airport Saturday, authorities said.308
- Toddler Reunited With ParentsPolice on Sunday were looking for the parents or guardians of a little boy who was found in the West Side Douglas Park neighborhood.233
- A Dozen Illinoisans Come Within One Number Of $600M Powerball JackpotOne number in Saturday night’s Powerball drawing was the difference for a dozen Illinois players between being $10,000 richer and living the life of a multi-millionaire.404
- 12 Arrested After Youth ‘Flash Mobs’ Erupt On Michigan AvenueOne adult and 11 juveniles were arrested Saturday night after police responded to groups of teens running through traffic around North Michigan Avenue on the Gold Coast.410
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!
- Miller Lite ‘Take Me Out To The Ballpark’ Ticket Giveaway April 26, 2013Join The Score this summer at various locations throughout the Chicagoland area for your chance to win one of twenty pairs of tickets to a future White Sox game!