Hundreds of nursing home staff members and others rallied outside the Thompson Center on Monday, trying to fend off new cuts for medical services.
With no deal in sight to avoid $85 billion in automatic federal budget cuts – known as the sequester – airports could see delays, some public services might be disrupted, and many federal workers could be forced to take lower pay, layoffs, or mandatory furloughs.
The Chicago Transit Authority is planning to add service on its most congested bus and ‘L’ lines, but 12 routes with low ridership are set to get the axe.
Daycare centers whose clients receive state funding say Illinois government is pulling payments. CBS 2′s Marissa Bailey reports.
Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart had some harsh words Thursday for state cuts in preschool funding.
An official representing some 200 Illinois Hospitals is warning against the big Medicaid cuts in Gov. Pat Quinn’s budget.
U.S. Rep. Dan Lipinski (D-Ill.) is celebrating a House Republican decision to back off a bill that could have meant severe cuts to funding for urban mass transit.
U.S. Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Ill.) is warning of serious transit troubles for the city on the horizon.
The parent company of Jewel-Osco today announced plans to cut its workforce by 800, including about 20 jobs in the Chicago area.
Those who use a west suburban postal facility are preparing for what seems to be the inevitable.
Members of Congress want to keep the U.S. Post Office from the deep cutbacks it’s proposing — and they will have six months to figure out how.
If you still mail a check to pay your bills, it’s going to take longer for them to get where they’re going starting in January.
With bankruptcy looming over the U.S. Postal Service, it’s possible that next-day delivery will no longer be an option.
The Cook County Board is holding a special meeting to vote on President Toni Preckwinkle’s 2012 budget.
Just one more day remains before the City Council votes on Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s first budget proposal.
The City Council — as a formality — moved Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s $6 billion budget another step closer to its expected passage Wednesday. But some aldermen are still hoping to make changes.
A large group of seniors joined Occupy Chicago protesters at Federal Plaza Monday morning for a lively protest.
Chicago aldermen on Wednesday heard the public’s concerns about proposed cuts in Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s 2012 budget.
The Chicago Bears released 14 players on Friday–the day after their final exhibition game–as the team begins to trim its roster to the league-mandated 53 players.
Elgin residents may have to shovel more snow and rake more leaves as the city looks for ways to trim its budget.
- Board Votes To Close 49 Chicago Elementary SchoolsThe Chicago Board of Education on Wednesday voted to close 49 elementary schools, in what is believed to be the biggest single mass shutdown of schools in U.S. history.4639
- Lockdown Lifted At Morton West High SchoolMorton West High School has been placed on lock down for precautionary reasons after an unknown individual entered the building.558
- Former Glenbard East Student Accused Of Planning Columbine-Type AttackA 19-year-old former student at Glenbard East High School in Lombard was in custody on Wednesday, accused of planning a "Columbine-style" attack on the school, with a list of people he wanted to target.561
- Woman Robs North Side BankA woman robbed a Lakeview bank Tuesday afternoon on the city’s North Side.262
- Four Schools To Be Spared From Closing; Another To Be DelayedHours before a final vote by the Chicago Board of Education, Chicago Public Schools officials have agreed to back off of plans to close four of the 53 elementary schools targeted for closing at the end of the school year, Board Vice President Jesse Ruiz confirmed Wednesday morning.415
- Boy, 17, Fatally Shot In Back Of The YardsA teenage boy was fatally shot in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood Tuesday evening, police said.147
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!