CBS 2 Chicago wbbm7801059 670 The Score

Deonta Howard Jr.

Deonta "Tay-Man" Howard Jr. plucks a guitar at New Beginnings Church, after he was released from the hospital on Sept. 25, 2013. Deonta was shot in the face at Cornell Square Park last week, when at least two gunmen sprayed a crowded basketball court with bullets, wounding 13 people in all. (Credit: CBS)

Boy Wounded In Mass Shooting Goes Home; Mom Says ‘He’s Just Being Tay-Man’

Deonta “Tay-Man” Howard said he’s not in pain anymore, except from a flu shot he received. His mother said, despite being shot in the face, “He never stopped talking, he never stopped running, he never stopped jumping.”

CBS Chicago–09/26/2013

Deonta Howard Jr. continues to recover at Mt. Sinai Hospital, after he was shot in the face at Cornell Square Park. Twelve other people also were shot on the basketball court at the park. (Photo supplied to CBS)

Mom: Child Wounded In Mass Shooting Recovering, But Afraid

The mother of a child wounded in a mass shooting last week in Chicago is thanking God and doctors for her son’s recovery, and is calling for an end to the gun violence that’s plaguing the city.

WBBM Newsradio–09/25/2013

(Clockwise from top left) Tabari Young, 22; Bryon Champ, 21; Kewane Gatewood, 20; and Brad Jett, 22, each have been charged in connection with a shooting that wounded 13 people at a South Side park. Young allegedly fired an assault rifle, Champ also allegedly fired shots, Gatewood allegedly supplied the assault rifle, and Jett allegedly acted as a lookout. (Credit: Chicago Police)

4 Men, Including 2 Gunmen, Charged In Mass Shooting

Police said the shooting was in retaliation for an unreported shooting earlier in the day on Thursday, when one of the suspects was grazed by a bullet.

09/24/2013

Chicago police investigate after gunmen opened fire on a basketball court at a park in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, wounding 13 people, including a 3-year-old boy. (Credit: Scott Olson/Getty Images)

McCarthy: ‘No Doubt’ Mass Shooting Case Will Be Closed Quickly

Police Supt. Garry McCarthy on Monday denied news reports police had arrested two men in connection with a mass shooting in the Back of the Yards neighborhood last week, but insisted he’s confident the case would be closed “very quickly.”

09/23/2013

Chicago police investigate after gunmen opened fire on a basketball court at a park in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, wounding 13 people, including 3-year-old Deonta Howard Jr. (inset) [Credit: Scott Olson/Getty Images | Inset photo supplied to CBS]

McCarthy: ‘A Miracle’ No One Died In Shooting That Wounded 13

Police said they believe an assault-style rifle with a high-capacity magazine was used in the attack, which they believe was gang-related.

09/19/2013