Detroit Tigers ace Justin Verlander has agreed to a five-year contract covering 2015-19.
The 22-year-old right-hander dominated three levels of the minors last year, earning Detroit’s Minor League Pitcher of the Year Award.
Free agent outfielder Torii Hunter has agreed to a two-year deal with Detroit, giving the Tigers a capable corner outfielder coming off an impressive season at age 37.
Former Detroit Tigers slugger Delmon Young pleaded guilty Wednesday to aggravated harassment for shouting an anti-Semitic slur and tackling a man to the ground outside a New York City hotel last spring.
The team announced Tuesday that Leyland has a contract for next season, and his coaching staff also has been invited to return.
When the Giants recorded the final out in Game 4 of the World Series last night to complete the four-game sweep of the Tigers, the city of San Francisco went nuts – as it should.
Game 4 was the most exciting game of the World Series – a back-and-forth affair that took 10 innings to decide. In the end, though, the result was the same: a Giants victory. Here are five things you didn’t know about the game.
The Giants took a commanding lead in the World Series last night, going up 3-0 after defeating the Tigers by a score of 2-0 for the second straight game. Here are five things you didn’t know about the game.
Another game of the World Series is in the books, and more unpredictable action has taken place. After the Giants earned an improbable win in Game 1, they extended their series lead with a Game 2 victory. Here are five things you didn’t know about the game.
Check out these five facts from Game 1 of the World Series that you may not have known.
It looks like the World Series will go the distance and seven games for the second straight year.
Game on, folks, it’s the fall classic. I know some of us are locked and loaded, but you might be distracted by something shiny in the corner of the room.
Game 4 of the AL championship series between the New York Yankees and Detroit Tigers was postponed because of bad weather in the area Wednesday night – although Comerica Park was still dry when the game was called.
The Yankees are dead.
Justin Verlander took a shutout into the ninth inning and the Detroit Tigers held on to beat the New York Yankees 2-1 Tuesday night for a 3-0 lead in the AL championship series.
Alex Rodriguez has had a little more time on his hands during games recently and, according to the New York Post, he used that time Saturday to pick up women.
The Detroit Tigers got a big boost from Anibal Sanchez’s arm. They got a helping hand from an umpire, too. The reward: a commanding 2-0 lead in the AL championship series, and a trip home with their ace ready to start.
A little grounder up the middle left Derek Jeter sprawled in the dirt, screaming in pain.
Seth Smith hit a game-tying two-run double off Detroit closer Jose Valverde in the ninth inning and Coco Crisp capped Oakland’s most dramatic comeback yet with an RBI single as the Athletics staved off elimination for a second straight night with a 4-3 victory over the Detroit Tigers in Game 4 of the AL division series Wednesday.
Brett Anderson outdueled fellow playoff first-timer Anibal Sanchez and received stellar defense all over the diamond, and the upstart Oakland Athletics avoided another playoff sweep by Detroit, beating the Tigers 2-0 Tuesday night in their AL division series.
- 3 Dead, 8 Hurt In Shootings Since Friday NightThe most recent fatal shooting happened about 1:50 a.m. Saturday in the Hyde Park community, roughly half a mile from President Barack Obama’s home in neighboring Kenwood.108
- Some People You Should Know: The MelodeersIt all began when barbershop patrons started singing while waiting to get their hair cut. A century or so later, the Melodeers chorus is taking the music to a dazzling new height with 140 ladies singing in unaccompanied four-part harmony. CBS 2's Harry Porterfield reports.155
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!