CBS 2 Chicago wbbm7801059 670 The Score

Dr. Richard Gamelli

Ethan Maidl suffered a severe allergic reaction to over-the-counter ibuprofen and acetaminophen when he was 7 years old. His eyes were scarred by Stevens Johnson Syndrome, and his skin began falling off. (Credit: CBS)

Over-The-Counter Meds Prompt Dangerous Allergic Reaction For Local Boy

It can cause blindness and make skin all over your body fall off, and doctors say it’s an illness that can be triggered by taking something as simple as ibuprofen or acetaminophen. It’s called Stevens Johnson Syndrome.

CBS 2–07/31/2012

Sydney Mleczko, 8, suffered second- and third-degree burns when boiling water for tea spilled in her lap at a suburban restaurant while she was dining with her family. (Credit: CBS)

Mom’s Quick Thinking After Daughter Scalded Prevented More Severe Burns

What would you do if your child got scalded by boiling hot water? Local doctors say you need to know, because it happens more often than you think.

CBS 2–01/25/2012