A group of clergy members is pushing to legalize same-sex marriage in Illinois.
A Chicago-based gay rights advocacy group has filed multiple complaints against Chick-Fil-A with the Illinois Department of Human Rights, in the latest twist in the culture clash surrounding the fast food chain.
The culture clash over Chick-Fil-A came to a head on Wednesday, with supporters in Chicago and around the country turning out for an “appreciation day” first proposed by former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee.
The gay rights group Equality Illinois is launching a campaign against Chick-Fil-A – petitioning universities and lawmakers to evict the fast food restaurant from their campuses and planning a “kiss-in” campaign by gay and lesbian couples outside Chick-Fil-A restaurants.
It has been a year now since same-sex civil unions became legal in Illinois, but the advocacy group Equality Illinois says many couples are not finding that their unions are being treated as equal to marriages.
Lawmakers failed to pass an enhanced anti-bullying law due to some members’ religious concerns.
A group that is leading the fight for same-sex marriage in Illinois is pleased to see President Obama change his view.
Gay rights activists are hoping for final approval of a state bill that would guarantee a benefit currently offered only to those in marriages recognized by the federal government.
Chicago LGBT leaders are reacting Tuesday to the ruling in California that overturned Proposition 8, which prohibited same-sex marriage in the Golden State and took away the right after it had already been granted.
Though they found Francis Cardinal George’s apology for linking gay rights activists to the KKK “woefully inadequate,” a group that had planned to protest outside Holy Name Cathedral Sunday has canceled the protest.
More than 3,700 couples committed to one another through civil unions in the first six months since Illinois legalized them.
The military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy on homosexuals serving in the armed forces comes to an end on Tuesday and gay men and women will be allowed to serve openly. The repeal comes four years after Marquell Smith says he was kicked out of the U.S. Marines for being gay.
Chicago-based Equality Illinois has said 1,618 civil union licenses were issued throughout the state in the month since the law went into effect on June 1.
Only a month has passed since Illinois legalized civil unions, but more than 1,600 same-sex couples have already applied for licenses.
Same-sex civil unions become legal in Illinois next week, and backers plan a downtown event to celebrate the occasion.
- Some People You Should Know: The MelodeersIt all began when barbershop patrons started singing while waiting to get their hair cut. A century or so later, the Melodeers chorus is taking the music to a dazzling new height with 140 ladies singing in unaccompanied four-part harmony. CBS 2's Harry Porterfield reports.155
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Man Found Shot To Death In Zion Supermarket Parking LotThe man found shot to death in a parking in north suburban Zion on Thursday afternoon has been identified as a Waukegan resident.152
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!