Beginning today, Metra is asking riders to “pick their poison,” and tell them what kind of fare increase, if any, they can stomach next year.
Chicago cab drivers say it’s time for a fare increase, and they’re taking their argument to City Hall Tuesday.
Chicago Transit Authority President Forrest Claypool said Wednesday that the agency has found the $80 million it needs to avert fare hikes and service cuts the rest of this year — without labor concessions.
The Emanuel administration and some Chicago cabbies are set to clash over the city’s plans to reshape the taxi industry without raising fares.
Metra Thursday night wrapped up eight public hearings in two days on the largest fare increase in the agency’s history.
Riders told Metra’s chief executive officer at a public hearing in Homewood on Wednesday that the fare increases the agency has proposed are too much.
Today is the day that CTA riders learn whether they will have to endure fare hikes and service cuts when the transit agency announces its budget plan for next year.
Metra is set to take a final vote on increasing fares, but not nearly as dramatically as originally planned.
The CTA says it faces a $277 million budget shortfall in the coming year. It won’t say yet that it plans fare hikes or service cuts, but CTA President Forrest Claypool made it clear he’s targeting union work rules.
CTA officials still won’t say if the agency’s 2012 budget contains fare hikes, service cuts or both. But they are making it clear that the budgeting process has not been an easy one.
In a letter to Metra riders, the agency’s CEO on Friday called proposed fare increases “jolting” but necessary due to rising costs, lower income and inaction by the previous Metra administration.
The Metra board Friday ruled out service cuts to close a 2012 budget shortfall estimated at more than $64 million, but higher ticket prices seem inevitable.
The CTA won’t raise fares for the rest of 2011, but is making no promises beyond that.
Metra wants to hear from you on the possibility of fare hikes and service cuts, and it doesn’t matter if you ride Metra daily or never come within miles of a commuter train.
The Regional Transportation Authority is warning that the CTA, Metra and Pace may have to undertake emergency fare hikes and service cuts as soon as next month.
The Chicago Transit Authority is beginning to plan its budget for next year, and it won’t be easy to accomplish.
The Chicago Transit Authority passed a new budget plan Wednesday that will not hike fares, nor cut service levels.
- Two Charged With River North BurglariesTwo people have been charged with burglary in connection with a spate of robberies this month in the River North neighborhood.98
- Portage Theater Closed For NowThe 93-year-old landmark theater at 4050 N. Milwaukee Ave. was shut down on Friday after Ald. John Arena (45th) blocked Carranza’s application for a liquor license, according to Carranza.90
- Man Shot And Killed Inside Hyde Park HomeA murder in Hyde Park, just blocks away from President Barack Obama's home.213
- Noise From Music Fest At Chicagoland Speedway Has Neighbors Up In ArmsMost of the complaints seem to be coming from the east of the Chicagoland Speedway in new Lenox, Frankfort and Mokena as grandstands protect the other three sides.127
- Roseland Hospital Cuts Staff, Salaries To Keep Doors OpenAs it waits to hear if it’ll receive a $7 million bailout to stay open, Roseland Community Hospital laid off almost 70 employees, and other hospital employees will take a pay cut.89
- Rev. Jackson: School Closings UndemocraticOpponents of Chicago school closures are vowing to fight on, but they appear to have little chance of reversing the mayor's agenda... unless a federal judge steps in, reports WBBM's Mike Krauser.90
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!