The Field Museum has hundreds of new meteorite fragments in its collection thanks to a retired lake forest health care executive who’s second career seems to be chasing visitors from outer space, reports WBBM’s John Cody .
A fossil of a prehistoric sea creature called an ichthyosaur is now on display at the Field Museum.
The Field Museum is all about history, so here’s a little history about the Field Museum. The museum was first incorporated into the State of Illinois on September 16, 1893 as part of an outgrowth of the World’s Columbian Exposition held in Chicago in 1893…
Chicago’s Field Museum is shrinking.
A dozen couples, who are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversaries this year, renewed their vows Saturday at the Field Museum.
More and more of these big cats are turning up in the Midwest, looking for forested habitat. CBS 2′s Bill Kurtis reports.
A young Peregrine falcon was back in the family nest on Thursday, a day after falling to the ground in the Loop, apparently while learning to fly.
The Field Museum as decided to join the other institutions on the Museum Campus and close on Sunday and Monday for the NATO Summit.
There is a luxury Lake Shore Drive condo — with a well-known owner — for sale on the Gold Coast, and the unit has a very special unexpected visitor living just above it. CBS 2’s Marissa Bailey reports a rare Peregrine Falcon has been nesting with several eggs just on the roof of the penthouse at 1100 N. Lakeshore Dr.
The Shedd Aquarium, the Adler Planetarium, and the Art Institute of Chicago will be closed for three days on the weekend of the NATO Summit.
A philanthropist specializing in meteorites has given the Field Museum ten grams of a 4.6 billion year old meteorite that exploded last month over northern California.
Genghis Khan has an oft-misunderstood legacy. The ruthless Mongol emperor drastically expanded his 12th and 13th century Asian empire through force — but along the way introduced passports and a postal system, among other innovations. “Genghis Khan,” a new show at the Field Museum running through September 3, takes a look at the ruler through an exhibit of artifacts ranging from jewelry and silk robes to weapons and religious relics — and even a mummy…
There aren’t enough hours in the day to check out every noteworthy event in Chicago. Check out our quick guide to five can’t-miss picks for March.
CBS 2′s Kate Sullivan re-introduces us to the famous Chicago institution, which has a new exhibit.
Starting Friday, visitors can get a rare look at mummies from deep inside the Field Museum collection.
On your day off, do you lose hours in front of your computer, as you’re doing now, refreshing Tumblr and tweeting about some idiotic thing someone said on Facebook? No? Well, good for you. You are the 1%. As for the rest of us, it might be time to go outside and get our brains moving again. If you haven’t visited the Field Museum of Natural History in a few years, it’s high time you returned. Here are some tips so you can make the most of your time.
The tragic events of September 11 happened just over a decade ago, but the country hasn’t forgotten. Among the many ways Chicago is commemorating the anniversary is with the riveting Ground Zero 360° exhibit, on view at The Field Museum through January 2.
Visiting Chicago’s museums is an enriching experience, but it can be prohibitively expensive. Most area museums schedule free days each year, and Illinois residents can take advantage of extra discounts. Read on for a round up of free days for the rest of 2011 – now you’ll know where to go the next time you have an unexpected day off.
The next time you visit Chicago’s Field Museum make a special trip to the restrooms.
Several boats moored in Lake Michigan near the Museum Campus were knocked loose Wednesday night amid strong winds and high waves.
- Police: Man Killed In Jump From Gold Coast BuildingA man jumped to his death early Tuesday from the Gold Coast high-rise building where he lived, authorities said.150
- Police: Man Touches Woman’s Leg At South Loop CTA StationPolice are looking for man who inappropriately touched a woman at a South Loop CTA station Tuesday morning.147
- Rapper Chief Keef Arrested In Georgia Hotel After Staff Smells MarijuanaChicago rapper Chief Keef makes no secret of his fondness for marijuana. The staff at the swanky LeMeridien Atlanta Perimeter hotel doesn’t share that fondness.144
- Florida Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing Of Bears FanA Florida man has pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears take on the Jaguars in October.619
- Man Critically Hurt In Jump From 3rd Floor Of HospitalA man was critically injured after attempting to jump from the window of a hospital Tuesday in the South Side Englewood neighborhood.201
- History Of Tornadoes In Chicago AreaTwisters with that kind of force that flattened Moore, Okla., have hit the Chicago area in the past, and have been extremely deadly.593
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!