In the wake of Illinois’ 23-point loss to unranked Wisconsin, the Fighting Illini took a major plunge in the rankings.
The Fighting Illini are an imperfect basketball team.
But then there’s the University of Illinois, the sadsack program of the prairie whose last three head football coaches can now be found at Florida International University (Ron Turner), the University of Buffalo (Lou Tepper) and, well, the coaching unemployment line (Ron Zook).
Brandon Paul scored 19 points and No. 11 Illinois bounced back from a tough loss in its Big Ten opener to beat No. 8 Ohio State 74-55 on Saturday.
Kirk Herbstreit might want to shoo them out of South Beach, but the Northern Illinois Huskies will nevertheless be playing in a BCS game tonight when they butt helmets with Florida State during the 2013 Orange Bowl.
In the wake of his 27 points scored against Auburn at the United Center this weekend, Illinois guard Tracy Abrams was named the Big Ten Player of the Week.
Foregoing his senior season, Illini defensive tackle Akeem Spence will enter the 2013 NFL Draft, according to a report.
With an 11-0 record and a Top 10 ranking, Illinois basketball appears to be back. But the Illinois basketball crowds? Well, they’re not.
It’s early, but so far, new Illini basketball coach John Groce seems to be the answer at Illinois.
When the Chicago Cubs, coming off their 104th year of championship futility topped by 101-loss cherry, probably inspire more hope and interest than your football program does, you know you have a problem.
Last week, I canvassed a swath of Illini Nation via Twitter and Facebook, asking for suggestions about how the state’s flagship school could better connect with fans – both existing and prospective ones – in the city.
Illinois is treating Division II Chaminade like a tough opponent at the Maui Invitational, even after routing USC by 30 points on Monday night.
Though his time with the Illini has been brief, head basketball John Groce is showing promise in his recruiting.
Two years ago, Nathan Scheelhaase was soaring. These days, though, the guy’s just sore.
When new Illinois basketball coach John Groce makes his debut for the Fighting Illini on Friday Night in Champaign, he’ll be met with a rather quiet crowd.
Back in July, after Simeon superstar Jabari Parker left the Illinois of his Top 10 list of potential college pitstops, I wrote that when it comes to basketball recruiting, second place truly is the first loser.
Check out the full Big Ten schedule.
But thanks to the foibles and failures of two of his conference rivals, Illinois’ first-year football coach could have a big “in” for 2012.
At the University of Illinois, the faces may change, but the drama does not.
Former Illinois coach Bruce Weber has been hired to replace Frank Martin at Kansas State, sources told CBSSports.com.
- Some People You Should Know: The MelodeersIt all began when barbershop patrons started singing while waiting to get their hair cut. A century or so later, the Melodeers chorus is taking the music to a dazzling new height with 140 ladies singing in unaccompanied four-part harmony. CBS 2's Harry Porterfield reports.155
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Man Found Shot To Death In Zion Supermarket Parking LotThe man found shot to death in a parking in north suburban Zion on Thursday afternoon has been identified as a Waukegan resident.152
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!