Several aldermen have joined community activists in calling for passage of a measure designed to prevent more buildings from becoming vacant.
Jim McClelland’s company has bought more than 1,000 foreclosed houses, renovated them and rented them out to new tenants.
New figures show October home foreclosures up nearly 20 percent in Illinois, compared with a year ago.
It’s taking longer than ever for Chicago area lenders to work through the state’s backlog of home foreclosures.
The state of Illinois now claims an unenviable distinction – it now leads the nation in home foreclosures.
With just four days to go before the NATO Summit, protesters have already been making their presence known for three days.
In Chicago, 97,000 homes were foreclosed last year – the second-highest foreclosure rate in the nation. Statewide, more than 103,000 homes had a foreclosure filing in 2011, the eighth-highest rate in the country.
Home foreclosures in Illinois were down last month compared with January, but up significantly from the year before.
Illinois has found its way onto the list of the top 10 states with the highest foreclosure rates.
Chicago-born singer R-Kelly’s suburban home is on the market following a foreclosure suit this summer.
Illinois home foreclosure activity rose 9.7 percent in October compared to the previous month.
The latest figures from RealtyTrac show that in Illinois and nationwide, foreclosed homes now account for about a third of all home sales.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel has revealed the second phase of the city’s assault on the home foreclosure crisis. First, Emanuel pushed through an ordinance making banks responsible for maintaining foreclosed properties. On Wednesday, he unveiled a strategy to keep those homes occupied.
A new Chicago law is supposed to force banks to secure and maintain buildings the day foreclosure papers are filed. A Chicago organization is focusing on a major financial institution, CBS 2′s Dana Kozlov reports.
The City Council on Thursday passed an ordinance that holds banks responsible for maintaining properties once they have foreclosed upon them and left them vacant.
Community and government leaders and others are holding a summit meeting today on the foreclosure crisis in the Chicago area.
Home foreclosures in Illinois and nationally dropped nearly 30 percent in the first half of this year. But the experts say it’s not because of an improving housing market.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Wednesday threw his support behind a long-stalled measure that would force banks and other lenders to maintain the properties on which they foreclose.
You may want to blame the economy if your house is swarmed by mosquitoes.
A bill making foreclosures quicker and easier for banks is on Gov. Pat Quinn’s desk. Critics say it will give homeowners less opportunities to save their properties.
- Deadly Oklahoma Tornado Serves As Reminder To Prepare For Disasters“Tornado sheltering basics involved three steps – get in, get down and cover-up. The overall goal is to avoid flying and falling debris by putting as many barriers between you and the tornado as possible,” according to one expert at the National Weather Service in Norman, Oklahoma.117
- Lightning Strikes Damage Two Homes OvernightAt least two homes in the Chicago area were struck by lightning overnight as heavy thunderstorms plowed through the region.196
- Police Seek Help Identifying Female Homicide VictimPolice are asking for help to identify the body of woman or teen girl found strangled and badly burned in a Northwest Side Avondale neighborhood Dumpster Sunday night.137
- Chicago Red Cross Joining Tornado Relief Effort In OklahomaThe American Red Cross of Greater Chicago has begun mobilizing to help with the relief effort in Oklahoma, after a devastating tornado killed dozens of people.337
- Should Indoor Sprinklers Be Mandatory For New Homes?Safety advocates say new construction should include indoor sprinklers to make homes more fireproof. CBS 2's Chris Martinez looks at both sides of the debate.149
- Cop Shoots Trucker In Parking Lot Of Merrillville, Ind. Planned ParenthoodA police-involved shooting occurred in the parking lot of a Planned Parenthood office in Merrillville, Ind. Monday afternoon.254
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!