Frank Lloyd Wright
A prestigious institution of higher learning once graced with educational lectures from our president elect, The University of Chicago is an ideal place to visit during the 2013 inaugural ceremony. These important landmarks in Hyde Park are well worth considering at this historic time.
A popular destination for those in Chicagoland, the Village of Oak Park sits just a quick jaunt down the Eisenhower Expressway, easily within one tank of gas. It’s most famous resident, Frank Lloyd Wright, left a wealth of Prairie style architecture behind, but Oak Park also boasts a past and present filled with literary and artistic genius.
From pioneer settlements to mansions, marks of citizens integral to Chicago’s history abound in the area. Explore the following six locations for an historical perspective of what life was like for early Chicagoans.
A local organization now owns the Frank Lloyd Wright home and studio in Oak Park free and clear.
A contractor who specializes in tear-downs is buying a historic Prairie-style home and cottage on adjoining lots in east Wilmette, but preservationists say the chances for saving both are looking good.
Inquiries have arrived from as far as China and England about an original Frank Lloyd Wright home, complete with Wright designed furniture, being auctioned off Thursday afternoon in Chicago.
“It’s an assertive car.” – Rafael and his Nissan Altima
If you’re one of those people who buys artwork to match the couch, this will shock you. An anonymous bidder has paid $772,000 to a Chicago auction house for an urn.
Police arrested a Chicago man for allegedly stealing copper downspouts from homes, including one built by Frank Lloyd Wright.
A Glencoe architect is restoring a run-down, years-vacant Frank Lloyd Wright house to look almost exactly as it did when built in 1915.
A Frank Lloyd Wright home in suburban Chicago is on the market for nearly $2.9 million.
The historic district in Oak Park has been named one of America’s 10 Great Neighborhoods by the American Planning Association.
Neither police nor church officials have a solid estimate of the value of the solid bronze letters, which are more than 100 years old.
- Two Charged With River North BurglariesTwo people have been charged with burglary in connection with a spate of robberies this month in the River North neighborhood.98
- Portage Theater Closed For NowThe 93-year-old landmark theater at 4050 N. Milwaukee Ave. was shut down on Friday after Ald. John Arena (45th) blocked Carranza’s application for a liquor license, according to Carranza.90
- Man Shot And Killed Inside Hyde Park HomeA murder in Hyde Park, just blocks away from President Barack Obama's home.213
- Noise From Music Fest At Chicagoland Speedway Has Neighbors Up In ArmsMost of the complaints seem to be coming from the east of the Chicagoland Speedway in new Lenox, Frankfort and Mokena as grandstands protect the other three sides.127
- Roseland Hospital Cuts Staff, Salaries To Keep Doors OpenAs it waits to hear if it’ll receive a $7 million bailout to stay open, Roseland Community Hospital laid off almost 70 employees, and other hospital employees will take a pay cut.89
- Rev. Jackson: School Closings UndemocraticOpponents of Chicago school closures are vowing to fight on, but they appear to have little chance of reversing the mayor's agenda... unless a federal judge steps in, reports WBBM's Mike Krauser.90
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!