Garfield Park Conservatory
After months of snow, ice and cold weather, it’s time to embrace the warm weather of spring. From kite flying to festivals, celebrating the arrival of spring in the Chicagoland area has never been so fun.
Say goodbye to the dragon and get ready to celebrate the year of the snake as the Chicagoland area prepares for the Chinese new year. From tea ceremonies to parades, there’s plenty to do to start the new year. Use this list to get started in planning your own festivities.
Garfield Park Conservatory is the part-time home this spring and summer for six goats whose job it is to keep the place well mowed.
You could spend a small fortune going to a movie or sending the kids to day camp, but we’ve compiled a list of free, inexpensive and exciting activities to take you through the weekend. Be sure to double check the website for what’s included. You may still need to pay for special activities or parking. So pack up the kids and pack a lunch and have a great winter break.
The Garfield Park Conservatory has lost one of its rare plants.
Set out on a Valentine’s Day themed tour de chocolat in Chicago! Just don’t get a tummy ache…
Looking for better luck at the Garfield Park Conservatory in 2012, the Chicago Park District called in the big guns on this, the weekend before the Chinese New Year.
I want you to know, a lot has changed since my last date guide. I’m not the amateurish schmuck I was when I wrote that dating guide. I’m a totally new schmuck. I am more mature and ready to tell you about some of the best winter date spots that exist in this fine city.
One of the historic rooms at the Garfield Park Conservatory, heavily damaged this summer in a hail storm, has reopened.
You can have the chance to buy some unusual plants very cheaply, and at the same time, help the Chicago Park District recover from the hail damage at the Garfield Park Conservatory this past summer.
It has been two and a half months since a hailstorm shattered the glass ceilings of the Garfield Park Conservatory, and caused $2 million in damage. Now, the conservatory has kicked off a fundraising campaign to pay for the rest.
The June 30 hailstorm that destroyed a portion of the Garfield Park Conservatory has prompted a fundraising drive, because insurance will not cover the devastation until an assessment is finished.
As officials at the Garfield Park Conservatory have begun working to repair widespread damage from last week’s hail, carpenters have building rolling wooden shields so workers can safely water ferns under shattered glass roofs.
Three areas of the Garfield Park Conservatory were reopened to the public on Sunday after tens of thousands of window panes were smashed by hail last week, forcing the historic site to close.
Hailstones the size of large marbles rained down on the Garfield Park Conservatory Thursday night, smashing tens of thousands of window panes that cover three of the giant greenhouses and causing widespread damage to the plants.
The snow is melting and people are beginning to wear flip-flops even though it’s only 40 degrees–this can only mean one thing– it’s Spring time in Chicago. Celebrate the release from hibernation and finally cure your cabin fever. Get outdoors and smell the flowers!
The year is already well underway, and some of you may have not set a resolution for the year – or have already given up on one. Here’s a list to get you off to a good start.
In an annual tradition that goes back generations, the halls of the Lincoln Park Conservatory will be decked with poinsettias and model train tracks starting today.
The whipping winds and chilly temperatures may not be much fun, but once again Wednesday, escaping the elements for the tropical climes of the city’s botanical conservatories will not be an option.
Halloween isn’t just a day anymore. For kids, it is a month-long celebration. Local Halloween events and activities are already well underway. Yes, that means you need to have the Halloween costumes finalized soon! Grab […]
- Roseland Hospital Cuts Staff, Salaries To Keep Doors OpenAs it waits to hear if it’ll receive a $7 million bailout to stay open, Roseland Community Hospital laid off almost 70 employees, and other hospital employees will take a pay cut.81
- Rev. Jackson: School Closings UndemocraticOpponents of Chicago school closures are vowing to fight on, but they appear to have little chance of reversing the mayor's agenda... unless a federal judge steps in, reports WBBM's Mike Krauser.90
- Mount Prospect Man Falls To Death From Albany Park RoofA Mount Prospect man fell to his death from a roof in Albany Park Friday afternoon.113
- 3 Dead, 8 Hurt In Shootings Since Friday NightThe most recent fatal shooting happened about 1:50 a.m. Saturday in the Hyde Park community, roughly half a mile from President Barack Obama’s home in neighboring Kenwood.198
- Some People You Should Know: The MelodeersIt all began when barbershop patrons started singing while waiting to get their hair cut. A century or so later, the Melodeers chorus is taking the music to a dazzling new height with 140 ladies singing in unaccompanied four-part harmony. CBS 2's Harry Porterfield reports.155
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!