The vote of 64-45 in favor of the bill failed because it needed 71 votes. A supermajority was necessary because the law would pre-empt the home-rule powers of several cities.
A day after a gun trafficking law named after slain Chicago teen Hadiya Pendleton made its way to the Senate floor, U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said he believes it has the best chance of becoming law out of all the gun control proposals being considered on Capitol Hill.
Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy showed off some of the 1220 guns seized by officers in the first nine weeks of the year, and he said he’s considering expanding the number of “hot zones” he saturates with officers on overtime.
The firestorm over concealed weapons moved to the Illinois House floor Tuesday, sparking Republican complaints that an extraordinary legislative process set up by majority Democrats would restrict the right to carry guns in public rather than allow it, as a federal court has ordered.
CBS 2′s Walter Jacobson says lawmakers shouldn’t cave to the demands of the NRA that Chicago commuters be allowed to carry concealed weapons.
It’s the final weekend of campaigning in the crowded 2nd Congressional Primary Election.
Two men were killed and at least four other people were wounded in weekend gun violence in Chicago.
The meeting comes on the heels of a legal victory for gun rights supporters who want the state to lift its ban on concealed carry of handguns.
If gun owners are allowed to ride the CTA armed, its union leaders want to arm transit personnel to the teeth, also, but the union says allowing commuters to carry guns on buses and trains would be “disastrous.”
The likelihood of concealed-carry gun legislation in Illinois prompted lively debate Saturday at a “town hall” meeting in the near South Side Bronzeville neighborhood.
Mental health care and treatment are being discussed as ways to prevent gun violence, but Lorrie Jones, head of the Illinois Division of Mental Health, says just because someone has a mental problem doesn’t mean he’s a homicidal maniac.
Anita Alvarez is as frustrated as anyone else, claiming she’s doing the best she can, with what she has to work with.
Chicago, which has about a third of the population of New York City, recorded three times more homicides than the Big Apple in the month of January.
The head of the Illinois State Rifle Association says Illinois has already complied with one of the elements in President Obama’s package of gun control proposals, and his group supported it.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is putting more pressure on gun makers to get behind his push for an assault weapons ban and criminal background checks for gun purchasers.
Residents of the Austin neighborhood say they are touched by violence every day and on this Gun Appreciation Day, they held a counter rally in front of a North Avenue Walmart.
A South Side alderman is asking for City Council hearings on an unorthodox gun control measure that would allow for GPS tracking of firearms.
As Mayor Rahm Emanuel pushes for tougher gun laws in Washington on Monday, he also wants companies that manufacture or sell assault weapons to be removed from city retirement investment plans.
Rev. Jesse Jackson, Sr. and Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy took part in a spirited debate over gun violence this morning on the city’s South Side.
In Springfield and Washington, there will be talks on Wednesday centered on the issue of gun control.
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Bakery Blunder Makes ‘Cat Cake’ A Viral SensationOf all the cat memes on the Internet, this one takes the cake.900
- Search Dog Tracks Missing Student To LakefrontVolunteers, friends and family were out in force Tuesday morning, resuming the search for a missing University of Chicago student.586
- Initial Tests ID Glittery Substance Along BeachIndiana environmental officials were investigating whether a Porter County manufacturer was responsible for a slick of glittery material that kept many swimmers out of Porter Beach on Monday.1095
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!