Crews were working to restore power to thousands of homes and businesses Thursday morning, after powerful storms tore down branches, uprooted entire trees, and knocked down power lines all across the Chicago area.
The National Weather Service was anticipating a major severe weather outbreak in the Chicago area, starting Wednesday afternoon, with a possibility of very strong storms, large hail, high winds, and a risk of tornadoes.
A round of storms overnight ripped down some trees in the Chicago area, and more storms hit the area just in time for the morning rush.
Severe thunderstorms passing through the Chicago area are expected to give way to cooler temperatures this evening.
Severe thunderstorms are moving through Chicago area Sunday that could produce 100 mile per hour winds and quarter size hail, according to the National Weather Service.
Following a day of triple-digit heat, the Chicago area is seeing some strong thunderstorms today.
A round of heavy spring storms caused serious damage in some areas overnight, including the collapse of a façade at a church in downtown Evanston that left a person injured
Torrential downpours, cloud-to-ground lightning, wind gusts in excess of 70 mph, and hail as large as golf balls could all be in store for northern Illinois and northwest Indiana Sunday afternoon and evening, according to the National Weather Service.
It might as well be mid-May, with temperatures climbing to 70 degrees and springtime thunderstorms making their way toward the area.
One of the historic rooms at the Garfield Park Conservatory, heavily damaged this summer in a hail storm, has reopened.
A fast moving thunderstorm with lightning and hail is expected to move into the Chicago area Tuesday night.
The rain that moved into the Chicago area late Friday could soak the city all weekend, and possibly into next week.
After three straight days of hot and humid weather, cooler air is expected to move into the Chicago area for the remainder of the holiday weekend — but not before some potentially strong Saturday night thunderstorms.
Hundreds of thousands of people were left without power, scores of towns reported damage and the morning commute was delayed for thousands of people as a strong round of storms rolled through the Chicago area.
Scores of police squad cars were among the many vehicles damaged Thursday night due to the hailstorm that swept through.
Chicagoans on Thursday night were likely focused on the looming extreme heat, when severe thunderstorms swooped in and caught everyone by surprise.
Emergency preparedness officials warn that the severe storms that have blanketed much of the nation this spring could just as easily hit here. They stress taking steps in advance to be ready.
Just before a 30-degree drop swoops in to cool off the area, Chicago and Northwest Indiana residents will have to put up with thunderstorms that could bring damaging wind gusts up to 60 mph Wednesday night.
At least one person was hurt in the severe storms that ripped through portions of the Chicago area Sunday. Hail fell in several suburbs, while a possible tornado in northwest Indiana destroyed a building and toppled power lines.
Quarter size hail has been spotted in southwest suburban Evergreen Park as severe thunderstorms roll into the Chicago area.
- Body Found In Lake Is Missing U Of C StudentAuthorities have confirmed the body found in Lake Michigan early Wednesday belonged to a University of Chicago student who has been missing for a week.692
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.5989
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!