Rain moved through the area Wednesday morning, but conditions are expected to be at least partly sunny for the afternoon as the heat returns to midsummer highs.
The way this summer has been going, the notion of a high in the 70s almost seems fit for November.
This summer may be one of the hottest in recent memory, but it is also one of the worst for air quality.
Heat and humidity will dominate this first day of Lollapalooza, although a lake breeze will make conditions more tolerable.
Yet again, the stifling heat is building in Chicago, with an afternoon of 90-degree heat and increasing humidity on tap.
Half of the counties in the entire country – and all but four in Illinois – have been declared disaster areas because of the ongoing drought.
In a Chicago summer that’s broken all kinds of heat records, another one has fallen.
The near-record breaking heat that blanketed the Chicago area on Wednesday is expected to give way to cooler air the remainder of the week.
The clouds and occasional bursts of rain and thunder will give way to sunshine – and yet another day of extreme heat – Wednesday afternoon.
Gov. Pat Quinn is asking for Illinois to be designated a drought disaster area.
The weather will be idyllic by most estimations for the rest of the day Friday, with the sun shining and the air having a September-like feel with highs just in the 70s along the lake.
Extreme heat and low water levels in area rivers are creating a dangerous combination.
The temperature is once again expected to rise to 100 degrees on Tuesday, and a heat advisory is in effect for the whole area.
Parts of the Chicago area are now considered to be in a severe drought, but at least some rain is expected this weekend.
CBS 2’s Suzanne Le Mignot spent time at St. Francis Hospital in Evanston, where the emergency room saw about four heat-related cases per hour.
The third straight day of triple digit heat has led to the deaths of at least six people, authorities said on Friday.
The longer the extreme heat continues the more worried emergency workers become about our most vulnerable people.
A gull, apparently overheated from the sweltering conditions, found some relief in the South Loop on Thursday, thanks to the generosity of a woman and her kids.
Chicago police stations are supposed to be able to double as cooling centers for the public when the weather turns hot, but the Central District station in the South Loop is offering no such relief during this heat wave.
As local residents prepare to celebrate the 4th of July amid record-tying heat, firefighters and fireworks companies were facing different kinds of challenges in getting ready for the night’s fireworks displays.
- Man Shot And Killed Inside Hyde Park HomeA murder in Hyde Park, just blocks away from President Barack Obama's home.189
- Noise From Music Fest At Chicagoland Speedway Has Neighbors Up In ArmsMost of the complaints seem to be coming from the east of the Chicagoland Speedway in new Lenox, Frankfort and Mokena as grandstands protect the other three sides.127
- Roseland Hospital Cuts Staff, Salaries To Keep Doors OpenAs it waits to hear if it’ll receive a $7 million bailout to stay open, Roseland Community Hospital laid off almost 70 employees, and other hospital employees will take a pay cut.89
- Rev. Jackson: School Closings UndemocraticOpponents of Chicago school closures are vowing to fight on, but they appear to have little chance of reversing the mayor's agenda... unless a federal judge steps in, reports WBBM's Mike Krauser.90
- Mount Prospect Man Falls To Death From Albany Park RoofA Mount Prospect man fell to his death from a roof in Albany Park Friday afternoon.113
- 3 Dead, 8 Hurt In Shootings Since Friday NightThe most recent fatal shooting happened about 1:50 a.m. Saturday in the Hyde Park community, roughly half a mile from President Barack Obama’s home in neighboring Kenwood.198
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!