Strong winds forced officials at the Willis Tower to close its Skydeck for the day on Tuesday, but the observation deck on the 94th floor of the John Hancock Center remained open for business.
Huge waves and high winds are pounding the lakefront along Chicago and Northwest Indiana on Tuesday– all from the massive superstorm that has devastated much of the East Coast.
Navy Pier’s indoor shops, restaurants and attractions will remain open Tuesday.
Hurricane Sandy is so massive that it is already making its presence felt here in Chicago, causing huge swells on Lake Michigan and disrupting flight plans for thousands of people.
Conditions will be dangerous on Lake Michigan all day Friday, with blasting winds, crashing waves, and a risk for waterspouts and rip currents.
Booming cracks of thunder awoke the Chicago area overnight, but many homeowners are finding more than just rain on the streets outside.
High winds along the Chicago lakefront forced Navy Pier to shut down its famous Ferris wheel for about an hour on Wednesday.
Strong winds, rain and possibly snow, are hitting Chicagoland hard on Tuesday, causing high waves along Lake Michigan.
Seven down, at least three more to go – crews were still pulling sunken, battered boats from the bottom of Monroe Harbor on Tuesday, after last week’s high winds and waves smashed them into a concrete lakefront wall.
Longtime boaters in Chicago said they’ve never seen anything like it. Strong winds and high waves sank nine boats and damaged 11 more after they were tossed from their moorings in Monroe Harbor overnight.
Streets by a Near North Side high-rise were closed to pedestrian traffic Wednesday afternoon after glass from at least one window was blown out due to heavy winds.
The high winds that hit the Chicago area last week not only produced Lake Michigan waves of up to 25 feet, but they had an effect on the color of the lake’s water.
With high winds moving into the Chicago area Thursday evening, Lake County Sheriff’s police have reported two boats capsizing on two different lakes.
Two firefighters are shocked by wires blown down by the high winds.
- Storms Likely On Monday Afternoon, EveningWarm, humid air over Chicago is likely to create some strong, isolated thunderstorms around the evening rush hour on Monday.431
- Three Teens Arrested After Large Fight On Lakefront On South SideThree teens were arrested on Sunday, after police broke up a large fight along the lakefront in the Jackson Park neighborhood.337
- Charred Body Found In Dumpster After Fire ExtinguishedAbout 11:05 p.m. firefighters were called to the 3100 block of North Kimball Avenue in the Avondale neighborhood after receiving a report of a dumpster blaze in a nearby alley.156
- 5 Dead, 18 Wounded In Weekend ViolenceFive people have been killed and at least 18 others wounded — including a 12-year-old boy left in critical condition — in shootings across the city since Friday night.7474
- Woman Disputes Story Of Chicago Cop Who Shot Her DogTensions are boiling over in the Norwood Park neighborhood on Chicago's Northwest Side where an off-duty Chicago police officer shot and killed a dog, reports WBBM's Nancy Harty.189
- 3 Critically Hurt In Kennedy CrashThree people were critically injured in a crash on the Kennedy Expressway on the Northwest Side Sunday morning.271
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!
- Miller Lite ‘Take Me Out To The Ballpark’ Ticket Giveaway April 26, 2013Join The Score this summer at various locations throughout the Chicagoland area for your chance to win one of twenty pairs of tickets to a future White Sox game!