Last Thanksgiving was our first holiday catering to special diets, and you’d have thought come Christmastime we were abandoning something integral to the holiday — like Christmas trees — instead of simply gluten. Everything delicious and edible food seemed to brimming with delectable glutenous particles, and those of us on the restricted diet felt a little, erm, restricted.
Welcome to your 2012 Holiday Guide! Don’t miss our gift-giving ideas, shopping advice, food & drink recipes, and movie & music recommendations. Share some holiday cheer with your friends!
There is no shortage of fun, free things to do this holiday season in the Chicago loop! Chicago Loop Alliance’s (CLA) fourth annual Winter WonderLoop will surprise and delight pedestrians in downtown Chicago this winter with “Random Acts of Holidays” from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. on each Saturday from Dec. 1-22, 2012. Specific details on these free, family-friendly experiences around the Loop will be announced each morning…
The difference between cleaning your house now and during spring cleaning is that you have no time to do the cleaning right now. Between Christmas shopping, cooking dinners, attending holiday parties and family visiting, there doesn’t seem to be enough hours in the day to actually clean your house. But it still needs to get done, because the family is arriving any minute and you’re hosting a huge holiday party. What to do? That’s where cleaning services come in handy, so you can make it look like you had all the time in the world to get the cleaning AND the cooking done.
Searching for this season’s hottest gifts for all your friends and family, look no further than Your Holiday Hints.
We don’t always get what we want for the holidays. But what if we could? Tell us what gift you’d most want to receive.
This Christmas, take the time to step back and think about what personal touches you can add to help give your gifts a memorable quality.
If you plan on hosting overnight guests, you are going to need to prep your home for their arrival.
If you don’t want to cook this Thanksgiving, gather up your family and friends and head to these restaurants, all of which are open for your Turkey Day meal.
Planning a weekend getaway? Located 80 miles from Chicagoland, Lake Geneva, WI, provides a perfect escape for Chicagoans trying to avoid expensive plane fare or hours in the car. Though Lake Geneva, is known for its waterfront, beaches, festivals and resorts, that doesn’t mean it’s only a warm weather town. Many places feature seasonal activities and ways to see the beautiful fall color changes at the lake.
New Beers Eve goes back 67 years, when President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed an act into law that legalized beer – marking the beginning of the end for Prohibition. As it turns out, this made many American citizens happy – alcohol had been illegal for a whopping thirteen years. Naturally, everyone celebrated, lining up in front of bars on April 6th, waiting for this new law to go into effect at midnight.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year… after holiday sales have begun! Starting the day after Christmas, you can find that most stores holiday merchandise has marked down to nearly 50% off the original pricing…
For a tutorial on the best wines to go with your Christmas dinner, or the ones that would make the best gifts, we were joined this morning by wine expert Ron Breitstein. Here’s some more information on what he showed us.
Part of being a true Chicagoan is the ability to survive a frigid winter. Not only a frigid winter, but a very, very long, frigid winter. As the temperature dips below zero, sometimes our spirits go with it. One way to beat the winter blues is to take advantage of Chicago’s upbeat bar scene…
This is the busiest time of year for charitable donations. Half of all individual donations are made in the weeks between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve. Of course, this is the prime shopping season too!
On the second Saturday of December, TBOX gave to me… the 15th annual bar crawl over in Wrigley. I’m already counting down the days for this fun and festive event that seems to be getting better and better each year. The morning will start off as usual at the Cubby Bear for an opening ceremony, then proceed on to 36 (yes, 36!) neighborhood pubs and bars…
On Cyber Monday, business was booming. But are all the good holiday deals history already? Experts say it’s not so.
It’s that time of the year again, early birds! Grab a cup of coffee, set the alarm and make a list. This year, you might not even need to go to bed at all. With many retailers staying open on Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday is starting earlier than ever. Some retailers are offering deals starting Thursday evening or even earlier online.
Uncovering worthy gifts for the adventurous world traveler can be difficult. From a travel diary to a language course to a tricked-out Nikon camera, presents that are both fun and useful are the way to go.
If you’re planning to find a temporary job around the holidays, you may want to get a jump start on that right now.
- Orange Line Service Resumes After Train-Pedestrian IncidentCTA commuters were temporarily stymied on the Orange Line during the Friday rush hour after a train fatally struck a man on the tracks.401
- Illinois Senate Passes Medical Marijuana LegislationIllinois Gov. Pat Quinn must decide if he will sign a measure allowing the use of marijuana for medical purposes after the state Senate approved legislation on Friday.1238
- Teen Fatally Stabbed In Fight Outside Suburban Grocery StoreRomeoville police say a 17-year-old boy and a 22-year-old man got into a fight in the parking lot outside the Jewel-Osco on Weber Road.432
- Powerball Jackpot At $600 Million: Most Common NumbersThe Powerball jackpot was increased Friday to $600 million, making it the largest Powerball jackpot ever.781
- Police Believe Alleged Con Man Had Scores Of Victims In 4 StatesPark Ridge police were asking for the public’s health in a fraud investigation against a man they said has been using a fake identity to fleece people in at least four states.148
- Family Helping Fund Research For Rare Disease That Struck Son, DaughterThey start out growing up like any other child, until a seizure strikes. It's the first sign of a deadly, rare brain disease that robs children of their abilities before taking their lives. This weekend, you can help a Downers Grove family try to find a cure for Batten Disease.226
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- OREO Text-In Giveaway May 6, 2013The OREO King Size single serve packs are ideal for on the go snacking and sharing. To celebrate OREO King Size packs, text the keyword “OREO” to 67011 to enter for your chance to win a $250 Visa gift card!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!