New numbers out Tuesday reveal child homelessness is up 38% during this recession, which means a staggering 1.6 million American children are homeless annually.
Consider volunteering your time at one of many places that help those in need during the holidays. There are a variety of tasks you could do from cooking, serving food, preparing care packages, driving, and even just visiting…
As many as 2,000 people will experience homelessness for one night in the western suburbs, in an effort to draw attention and raise funds for homeless families.
Ahead of a bitterly cold and snowy winter, Chicago area homeless shelters are worried government funding cuts will mean more people on the streets.
An outpouring of public donations has paid for the cremation of a homeless Vietnam-era veteran who was killed in downtown Elgin.
On Sunday, 45,000 runners will pound the pavement in the Chicago Marathon. Crossing the finish line after 26.2 grueling miles will a be life changing moment, but even more so for two men who hope it’s the start of a successful run towards turning their lives around.
After a tragic life, an Elgin man’s children say they at least want their father to have the kind of funeral he wanted.
The Chicago Fraternal Order of Police is concerned about police station lobbies becoming homeless shelters in bad weather.
Illinois educators are bracing for another rise in the number of homeless students. Last year, 35,619 Illinois students were homeless — up more than 1,800 students from the previous year and continuing a disturbing three-year trend, CBS 2′s Vince Gerasole reports.
While many Chicagoans have plenty of options to escape the heat, it’s not so easy for the homeless.
A homeless man has been held without bond, on charges that he killed a 94-year-old World War II veteran who let the man stay at his home last year.
There was a time when Jimmy Butler didn’t have a home. Considering he now has one in the NBA, he sure has come a long way.
A Wheaton builder is holding a rally for the homeless this evening at the old Hubble Middle School, hoping to drum up support for his vision to transform the building into a center for the homeless.
The organization behind StreetWise magazine is stepping up efforts to keep panhandlers off the streets and safe.
The city’s homeless population has grown, and agencies facing funding shortfalls can’t keep up with the need for their services.
Police said a homeless man who was arrested after refusing to leave the northwest suburban Elgin police station’s lobby Monday told them he wanted to sleep in the building’s jail.
A homeless man is asking a court to put his name on the Chicago election ballot.
Northfield-based Kraft Foods has hired homeless radio announcer and Internet sensation Ted Williams for commercial voiceover work, according to a published report.
Christmas Eve was a good day for Gwen Ingram. She was able to get a meal and a couple of toys at the Reverend Paul Hall’s annual holiday food drive on south Ashland.
If you think it’s cold now, just wait. The forecast calls for sharply colder weather next week, with daytime temperatures barely above single digits.
- Students Disciplined For ‘Sexting’ Incident At Evanston Township HighIn a letter to parents dated Thursday, District 202 Supt. Eric Witherspoon wrote that girls sent inappropriate photos to members of the varsity baseball team.265
- Cops Crack Down On Retailers Who Sell Stolen GoodsA new law in Illinois is allowing police and retailers to work together to crack down on organized retail theft. CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports.117
- Jury Sides With Donald Trump In Condo Dispute With Woman, 87A federal jury has sided with developer Donald Trump -- not the 87-year-old woman who says she was cheated financially after buying two condominiums at his Trump Tower project.1056
- VIDEO: Guard Allegedly Pushes Dunbar Student Down StairsAn employee at a public high school in the Bronzeville neighborhood has been taken off the job after being recorded on cell phone video pushing a girl down a set of stairs.408
- Concealed Carry Bill Moves To House Floor, But Senate ObjectsA concealed-carry gun deal brokered by House Speaker Michael Madigan cleared a House committee Thursday, but its prospects were unclear across the Capitol in the Senate because of the way it would curb existing local gun laws.165
- Four Hurt In Wrong-Way Crash On Chicago SkywayA 25-year-old man has been cited for driving the wrong way on the Chicago Skyway, after a head-on crash with a pickup truck Thursday morning that sent four people to hospitals.232
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- RT @Millennium_Park: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole … 3 hours ago
- RT @ChicagoDCASE: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole htt… 3 hours ago