New numbers out Tuesday reveal child homelessness is up 38% during this recession, which means a staggering 1.6 million American children are homeless annually.
Consider volunteering your time at one of many places that help those in need during the holidays. There are a variety of tasks you could do from cooking, serving food, preparing care packages, driving, and even just visiting…
As many as 2,000 people will experience homelessness for one night in the western suburbs, in an effort to draw attention and raise funds for homeless families.
Ahead of a bitterly cold and snowy winter, Chicago area homeless shelters are worried government funding cuts will mean more people on the streets.
An outpouring of public donations has paid for the cremation of a homeless Vietnam-era veteran who was killed in downtown Elgin.
On Sunday, 45,000 runners will pound the pavement in the Chicago Marathon. Crossing the finish line after 26.2 grueling miles will a be life changing moment, but even more so for two men who hope it’s the start of a successful run towards turning their lives around.
After a tragic life, an Elgin man’s children say they at least want their father to have the kind of funeral he wanted.
The Chicago Fraternal Order of Police is concerned about police station lobbies becoming homeless shelters in bad weather.
Illinois educators are bracing for another rise in the number of homeless students. Last year, 35,619 Illinois students were homeless — up more than 1,800 students from the previous year and continuing a disturbing three-year trend, CBS 2′s Vince Gerasole reports.
While many Chicagoans have plenty of options to escape the heat, it’s not so easy for the homeless.
A homeless man has been held without bond, on charges that he killed a 94-year-old World War II veteran who let the man stay at his home last year.
There was a time when Jimmy Butler didn’t have a home. Considering he now has one in the NBA, he sure has come a long way.
A Wheaton builder is holding a rally for the homeless this evening at the old Hubble Middle School, hoping to drum up support for his vision to transform the building into a center for the homeless.
The organization behind StreetWise magazine is stepping up efforts to keep panhandlers off the streets and safe.
The city’s homeless population has grown, and agencies facing funding shortfalls can’t keep up with the need for their services.
Police said a homeless man who was arrested after refusing to leave the northwest suburban Elgin police station’s lobby Monday told them he wanted to sleep in the building’s jail.
A homeless man is asking a court to put his name on the Chicago election ballot.
Northfield-based Kraft Foods has hired homeless radio announcer and Internet sensation Ted Williams for commercial voiceover work, according to a published report.
Christmas Eve was a good day for Gwen Ingram. She was able to get a meal and a couple of toys at the Reverend Paul Hall’s annual holiday food drive on south Ashland.
If you think it’s cold now, just wait. The forecast calls for sharply colder weather next week, with daytime temperatures barely above single digits.
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Man Found Shot To Death In Zion Supermarket Parking LotThe man found shot to death in a parking in north suburban Zion on Thursday afternoon has been identified as a Waukegan resident.152
- School Warns Parents Of Kidnapping Attempt On PlaygroundA man tried to abduct a 4th grader from the playground at Alexander Graham Bell Elementary School at 3730 N Oakley Ave on Wednesday.150
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!