The Emanuel administration has launched a new effort to reduce homelessness throughout the city, with help from the private sector, and a focus on young people.
The Rev. Jesse Jackson spent the night at a homeless shelter on Sunday to honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s efforts to end poverty in America.
On this day two years ago, a devastating earthquake shook Haiti, killing more than 300,000 people and leaving more than a million homeless. Here is a look at the advances made since.
It’s bad enough not having a place to sleep every night, now things could soon get worse, with homeless people having to prove they don’t have a place to live to get federal assistance. But advocates for the homeless plan to go to Washington, D.C., to try to bring a halt to new federal rules and stop the red tape before it starts.
New numbers out Tuesday reveal child homelessness is up 38% during this recession, which means a staggering 1.6 million American children are homeless annually.
As many as 2,000 people will experience homelessness for one night in the western suburbs, in an effort to draw attention and raise funds for homeless families.
Chicago mayoral candidate Gery Chico laid out proposals to reduce homelessness in the city on Thursday. Newsradio 780′s Debra Dale reports.
A potluck benefit is being held in Evanston Friday night, to keep a beloved crossing guard from becoming homeless.
- Neighbor’s Dog Seriously Injures 9-Year-Old BoyA nephew of the dog owner was able to pull the animal off the boy, who suffered bites to his arms and legs.321
- Storms Likely On Monday Afternoon, EveningWarm, humid air over Chicago is likely to create some strong, isolated thunderstorms around the evening rush hour on Monday.431
- Three Teens Arrested After Large Fight On Lakefront On South SideThree teens were arrested on Sunday, after police broke up a large fight along the lakefront in the Jackson Park neighborhood.337
- Charred Body Found In Dumpster After Fire ExtinguishedAbout 11:05 p.m. firefighters were called to the 3100 block of North Kimball Avenue in the Avondale neighborhood after receiving a report of a dumpster blaze in a nearby alley.156
- 5 Dead, 18 Wounded In Weekend ViolenceFive people have been killed and at least 18 others wounded — including a 12-year-old boy left in critical condition — in shootings across the city since Friday night.7474
- Woman Disputes Story Of Chicago Cop Who Shot Her DogTensions are boiling over in the Norwood Park neighborhood on Chicago's Northwest Side where an off-duty Chicago police officer shot and killed a dog, reports WBBM's Nancy Harty.189
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!