On yet another scorcher in this sweltering summer, a group of scientists gathered beside the fountains of Millennium Park today to warn that Chicago’s heat waves are becoming more frequent and more intense.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel says the city’s ready for the heat wave, and is vowing now to repeat the mistakes of the past.
The heat settling in on the Chicago area isn’t just uncomfortable, it’s potentially dangerous.
The city’s Water Department has been flooded in recent days with reports of open fire hydrants as people try to cool off amid the recent heat wave.
Chicago’s hot, dry weather already has some trees and shrubs showing fall colors at the Morton Arboretum.
Chicago’s wild weather continued Sunday, as the rising mercury sent people scrambling to do anything they can to stay cool.
Record high temperatures in Chicago on Monday made it another perfect day to be at any of Chicago’s beaches.
A string of five straight days of record warmth for Chicago ended on Monday, although the high temperature still matched a 91-year-old mark.
As the temperatures soared well into the 90s for the fifth straight day, ComEd reported that customer demand hit an all time record.
Steamy temperatures on the first day of summer will pave the way for thunderstorms that could last throughout the week in the Chicago area.
With the temperatures rising into the upper 90s, there is are warning of the threat of the pavement buckling on major roadways.
- Some People You Should Know: The MelodeersIt all began when barbershop patrons started singing while waiting to get their hair cut. A century or so later, the Melodeers chorus is taking the music to a dazzling new height with 140 ladies singing in unaccompanied four-part harmony. CBS 2's Harry Porterfield reports.155
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Man Found Shot To Death In Zion Supermarket Parking LotThe man found shot to death in a parking in north suburban Zion on Thursday afternoon has been identified as a Waukegan resident.152
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!