House Minority Leader
As he prepared for the special legislative session he called for this Friday in Springfield, Gov. Pat Quinn was shooting down a pension reform proposal being pitched by the state’s labor unions.
Gov. Pat Quinn has called for a special session of the Illinois General Assembly next month in an effort to finally reach a consensus on pension reform.
Gov. Pat Quinn and the state’s four legislative leaders remained split on how to fix the state’s severely underfunded public pension systems, though the governor did signal a shift in philosophy regarding teacher pensions.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel went to Springfield on Tuesday to speak to state lawmakers about the need for pension reform at the city and state levels.
Illinois’ 78,000 state government retirees could lose their free health care benefits, under a measure headed to the full Illinois House for consideration.
Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White is calling on his onetime political protégé, State Rep. Derrick Smith (D-Chicago), to resign after his arrest for bribery.
Marking the first anniversary of the income tax hike approved by Gov. Pat Quinn and the Democrat-controlled legislature, Republican lawmakers hammered Democrats over the tax increase, saying people don’t like it and it’s not working.
Illinois House Republicans – and even some House Democrats – want to roll back the state’s corporate income tax increase, but there’s no serious talk of also rolling back the personal income tax hike.
Illinois lawmakers will try again to pass a measure aimed at keeping two of the state’s largest companies from jumping ship.
New proposed legislation aims to close the loopholes that have allowed some Chicago labor union leaders to collect massive public pensions.
Illinois Republicans have filed a measure they say will create tens of thousands of jobs. They think it’s something Democrats can get behind as well.
Illinois State Treasurer Dan Rutherford said Tuesday that he’s encouraged by the atmosphere around the Capitol this year as budget negotiations heat up.
In a surprise move, Senate President John Cullerton Wednesday took steps to gut the controversial 2009 state law that authorized video gambling machines in bars and restaurants throughout the state, the Sun-Times is reporting.
- 3 Jump Off Roof Of Trump Tower Wearing ParachutesA trio of daredevils broke onto the roof of the Trump Tower overnight and jumped off using parachutes.158
- Man Charged With Sex Trafficking For Second Time In Cook CountyA man previously convicted of sex trafficking in Cook County has been charged again, this time for allegedly kidnapping a Minnesota woman and bringing her to Chicago to work in the sex trade.201
- Body Found In Lake Is Missing U Of C StudentAuthorities have confirmed the body found in Lake Michigan early Wednesday belonged to a University of Chicago student who has been missing for a week.692
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.5989
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!