The father of a Blue Island man who survived the sinking of the replica of the HMS Bounty during Hurricane Sandy said it hasn’t quite dawned on his son yet that he’s lucky to be alive.
Romney was asked at a presidential debate whether FEMA should be shut down in light of the deficit. Romney replied that FEMA should “absolutely” be shut down. He was asked specifically if that included disaster relief. He replied that it was “immoral” to provide such relief in the face of “larger debts”, emphasizing that “it makes no sense at all” to have such programs.
Huge waves and high winds are pounding the lakefront along Chicago and Northwest Indiana on Tuesday– all from the massive superstorm that has devastated much of the East Coast.
The city says more than 400 boats are still docked at Chicago harbors, only a couple of days before the seasonal deadline to get them out.
Markets to restaurants. The financial district to Chicago’s shopping district. Experts say all could feel Sandy’s wrath, depending on just how damaging the storm proves to be.
Navy Pier’s indoor shops, restaurants and attractions will remain open Tuesday.
As Hurricane Sandy barrels down on the East Coast, Chicago is also feeling its effects, with flights and trains cancelled and people being urged to stay away from the lakefront due to a flood warning.
Hurricane Sandy is so massive that it is already making its presence felt here in Chicago, causing huge swells on Lake Michigan and disrupting flight plans for thousands of people.
The National Weather Service has issued a Lakeshore Flood Warning from 1 a.m. Tuesday to 4 p.m.Wednesday. Winds of up to 60 mph will drive waves to heights of between 16 feet to 22 feet along the Cook County shoreline.
Sunday is typically a heavy day for air travel and right now, everyone is trying to beat Hurricane Sandy.
Some ComEd crews and others from the Chicago area have started heading east, ahead of Hurricane Sandy, to be in place to help with recovery once the storm makes landing next week.
The 2012 presidential campaign between President Obama and Mitt Romney will be book-ended by hurricanes.
- Two Charged With River North BurglariesTwo people have been charged with burglary in connection with a spate of robberies this month in the River North neighborhood.98
- Portage Theater Closed For NowThe 93-year-old landmark theater at 4050 N. Milwaukee Ave. was shut down on Friday after Ald. John Arena (45th) blocked Carranza’s application for a liquor license, according to Carranza.90
- Man Shot And Killed Inside Hyde Park HomeA murder in Hyde Park, just blocks away from President Barack Obama's home.213
- Noise From Music Fest At Chicagoland Speedway Has Neighbors Up In ArmsMost of the complaints seem to be coming from the east of the Chicagoland Speedway in new Lenox, Frankfort and Mokena as grandstands protect the other three sides.127
- Roseland Hospital Cuts Staff, Salaries To Keep Doors OpenAs it waits to hear if it’ll receive a $7 million bailout to stay open, Roseland Community Hospital laid off almost 70 employees, and other hospital employees will take a pay cut.89
- Rev. Jackson: School Closings UndemocraticOpponents of Chicago school closures are vowing to fight on, but they appear to have little chance of reversing the mayor's agenda... unless a federal judge steps in, reports WBBM's Mike Krauser.90
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!