Governor Quinn says he found this his toughest budget to deliver to Illinois lawmakers, and it’s getting criticism from both sides of the aisle, reports WBBM Political Editor Craig Dellimore.
Illinois lawmakers are trying to keep a lid on spending, but a drafting error in a budget plan they approved would allow only $35,000 to run the entire state government for a year.
Whether it’s a computer mainframe deal in the five figures or it’s $1,178 worth of paper towels and toilet paper, no saving is too small to escape the notice of Illinois State Treasurer Dan Rutherford.
Award-winning Chicago Sun-Times reporter Abdon Pallasch is going from reporter to newsmaker, as he has been appointed by Gov. Pat Quinn as assistant Illinois State Budget director.
It’s unlikely to be the final budget, but the Senate Democratic budget proposal is moving through the legislature.
Illinois Senate Republicans say there’s a lot not to like about Gov. Pat Quinn’s budget plans, and the way he’s running the state. But as WBBM Newsradio Political Editor Craig Dellimore reports, they are siding with Quinn on a couple of big issues.
Virtually all parts of state government would be forced to cut spending under a budget outline approved by the Illinois House.
It’s going to be painful. Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn was putting the finishing touches Tuesday night on what can only be called a bad news budget; one which might stop the bleeding, but does little to treat the wound.
Gov. Pat Quinn said Monday that he plans to call for significant cuts to Medicaid funding as part of his effort to slash the state budget to spending levels lower than fiscal year 2008.
Gov. Pat Quinn has asked all the state’s constitutional offices and some state agencies to slash their annual budgets by at least 9 percent, but won’t say how he arrived at that figure.
Gov. Pat Quinn previewed some tough budget choices Tuesday, saying he wants to cut $2 billion from the state’s Medicaid budget to help solve the state’s fiscal woes.
The long-term forecast for the Illinois budget looks gloomy, with less state money available and government services facing cuts, Gov. Pat Quinn’s office said Tuesday.
Illinois State Treasurer Dan Rutherford said Sunday that the state’s gargantuan debt has pushed Illinois to “the verge of a financial disaster.”
The ideas of saving state money by combining school districts and eliminating the regional offices of education seem to be on their way to the recycle bin, maybe in the section marked “Easier Said than Done.”
With an income tax hike already in effect, Gov. Pat Quinn has presented a budget plan that would not raise any new taxes or fees, but would still cut state aide to the poor, reduce a number of services and borrow billions of dollars to pay overdue bills.
- Boy, 17, Fatally Shot In Back Of The YardsA teenage boy was fatally shot in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood Tuesday evening, police said.147
- Police: Man Killed In Jump From Gold Coast BuildingA man jumped to his death early Tuesday from the Gold Coast high-rise building where he lived, authorities said.303
- Police: Man Touches Woman’s Leg At South Loop CTA StationPolice are looking for man who inappropriately touched a woman at a South Loop CTA station Tuesday morning.147
- Rapper Chief Keef Arrested In Georgia Hotel After Staff Smells MarijuanaChicago rapper Chief Keef makes no secret of his fondness for marijuana. The staff at the swanky LeMeridien Atlanta Perimeter hotel doesn’t share that fondness.144
- Florida Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing Of Bears FanA Florida man has pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears take on the Jaguars in October.619
- Man Critically Hurt In Jump From 3rd Floor Of HospitalA man was critically injured after attempting to jump from the window of a hospital Tuesday in the South Side Englewood neighborhood.201
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!