Illinois Fighting Illini
In a fascinating twist of fandom, this year’s NCAA Basketball Tournament has turned the rooting interests for many Midwestern hoops followers on its head as Big Ten pride has outweighed school pride.
Three Illinois basketball players have been granted permission to transfer and will do so when the spring semester ends.
Collins’ Blue Devil blood alone is probably enough to get most Illini fans’ own boiling, but he may also elevate the rivalry in other ways both on and off the court in Evanston.
It turned out that the Illini – and, most significantly, athletic director Mike Thomas – were indeed lucky. And in the end, that was good.
Adam Hoge has spent the better part of the last 42 hours breaking down the bracket and digging up answers to those bracketing questions you have.
About 20 minutes had passed since their failed attempt at beating the Indiana Hoosiers for the second time this season, but there was still a small sense of accomplishment in the room.
Cody Zeller scored 24 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead No. 3 Indiana past Illinois 80-64 Friday in the Big Ten quarterfinals.
When Minnesota guard Austin Hollins stepped out of bounds with 14.6 seconds left in regulation, John Groce had a decision to make.
A quick look at what to watch for Thursday as the Big Ten Tournament gets underway in Chicago.
The Chief Illiniwek saga took a strange twist when it was revealed by the Daily Illini that unofficial results for all referendums on the 2013 student ballot had been released – except for the one involving the Chief.
In honor of Assembly Hall’s “Big Five-Oh,” here are the five most memorable Illini hoops moments that Dave Wischnowsky witnessed there in person.
Let’s take a look at the floor and ceiling for each Big Ten contender as the regular season nears an end.
I can thank 150 of my new friends in the Orange Krush, the University of Illinois’ famous student basketball cheering section that’s become infamous throughout the Big Ten for hijacking the opposition’s stadiums.
A student group is again trying to replace banished school symbol Chief Illiniwek – and, this time, another group of students is trying to stop them.
In 108 years of Big Ten basketball, the 1988-89 season still stands out as the conference’s gold standard.
Brandon Paul led Illinois (15-6, 2-5) with 15 points but had five of Illinois’ 15 costly turnovers.
Over the next three weeks, Illinois faces five opponents with a combined record of 78-15. Four of them are currently ranked among the Top 15 teams in the country.
D.J. Richardson scored a career-high 30 points, Brandon Paul added 14 and Illinois ended a three-game losing streak with a 71-51 victory over Nebraska on Tuesday night.
Joe Coleman scored 29 points and Andre Hollins added 19 to help No. 8 Minnesota top Illinois Wednesday 84-67 and remain undefeated in the Big Ten.
There has long been an apparent gap between Chicago sports fans and the University of Illinois’ athletic programs and Illini Athletic Director Mike Thomas is determined to fix it.
- Concealed Carry Bill Moves To House Floor, But Senate ObjectsA concealed-carry gun deal brokered by House Speaker Michael Madigan cleared a House committee Thursday, but its prospects were unclear across the Capitol in the Senate because of the way it would curb existing local gun laws.165
- Four Hurt In Wrong-Way Crash On Chicago SkywayA 25-year-old man has been cited for driving the wrong way on the Chicago Skyway, after a head-on crash with a pickup truck Thursday morning that sent four people to hospitals.232
- Student Pulled Over And Robbed By Phony Police OfficerA man driving an unmarked white Ford Crown Victoria with interior flashing red and blue lights pulled the student over near Ballard and Bender roads in Des Plaines as she was driving to school around 7:30 a.m. on May 20.340
- Census Data: Chicago Slowest Growing Big City In U.S.Chicago gained nearly 10,000 people from July 2011 to July 2012, but was the slowest-growing major city in the country according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates released Thursday.130
- Bodies Of 2 Men Found In Car In West EnglewoodTwo bodies were found inside a car on the South Side and one of the victims worked for Cook County Circuit Court Clerk Dorothy Brown.218
- The List: Chicago Schools To Be ClosedThe Chicago School Board voted to close 49 underutilized or underperforming elementary schools on Wednesday as part of a plan to close a $1 billion budget deficit.492
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!