A proposal that aims to create thousands of jobs in southern Illinois by kick-starting high-volume oil and gas drilling cleared a top committee Tuesday, sending it on to the House floor.
About 200 ministers and others gathered in the south suburbs on Tuesday, day calling on the Illinois House to say “no” to legislation to legalize same-sex marriages.
The state’s top transportation official would like to slow momentum for a move to increase the top speed limit in Illinois.
The Illinois Senate voted Thursday to send a union-supported pension reform bill to the House, leaving lawmakers with two competing proposals for dealing with the nation’s worst state pension crisis just weeks before the Legislature is scheduled to adjourn.
The Illinois House has approved a comprehensive pension-reform plan for the first time after years of talks.
Labor leaders threatened a lawsuit Wednesday over House Speaker Michael Madigan’s pension-reform proposal to lower the retirement benefits of public employees in Illinois, but a committee advanced the plan anyway.
The difficulty over how lawmakers will craft a law allowing public possession of guns in Illinois has been clearly demonstrated on the House floor.
The Illinois House Wednesday approved a measure to allow physicians to prescribe marijuana to patients with specific terminal illnesses or debilitating medical conditions.
Illinois lawmakers could vote on legislation to legalize medical marijuana this week, and a group of 250 doctors has urged them to support the measure.
The sponsor of legislation that would allow medical marijuana use in Illinois said Tuesday he’ll push for a vote on the measure when lawmakers return to Springfield early next month.
Illinois lawmakers from both parties celebrated a possible breakthrough Thursday in their struggle to solve the multibillion-dollar pension crisis after voting to reduce and delay cost-of-living increases in state employees’ retirement pay — a step the House Republican leader heralded as “the meat and potatoes of pension reform.”
A day after Gov. Pat Quinn upbraided lawmakers for inaction on the state’s multibillion-dollar pension mess, House members found a proposal they could get behind, backing a measure to limit the salary on which a public employee’s retirement benefits could be based.
The firestorm over concealed weapons moved to the Illinois House floor Tuesday, sparking Republican complaints that an extraordinary legislative process set up by majority Democrats would restrict the right to carry guns in public rather than allow it, as a federal court has ordered.
An Illinois House committee narrowly endorsed legislation to legalize gay marriage Tuesday, setting up a showdown on the House floor that could come in a matter of weeks.
The meeting comes on the heels of a legal victory for gun rights supporters who want the state to lift its ban on concealed carry of handguns.
In Springfield Tuesday afternoon, the first step was taken toward allowing gun owners to carry concealed weapons on the streets of Illinois.
The House sponsor of legislation to legalize same-sex marriage in Illinois said the measure could get a vote “very soon,” after the new General Assembly was sworn in this week.
Illinois lawmakers abruptly adjourned a lame-duck legislative session Tuesday without agreement on how to fix the nation’s most dire pension crisis, declining even to vote on the governor’s last-ditch effort to let an independent commission sort out the $96 billion mess.
A breakthrough measure to address Illinois’ $96 billion pension crisis progressed Monday in the Illinois House, but odds of a final deal before this week’s deadline grew slimmer as lawmakers left the Capitol without taking a floor vote.
A proposal to issue driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants received House committee approval Monday, despite concerns by both Democrats and Republicans whether it goes far enough to prevent fraud.
- Boy, 17, Fatally Shot In Back Of The YardsA teenage boy was fatally shot in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood Tuesday evening, police said.147
- Police: Man Killed In Jump From Gold Coast BuildingA man jumped to his death early Tuesday from the Gold Coast high-rise building where he lived, authorities said.303
- Police: Man Touches Woman’s Leg At South Loop CTA StationPolice are looking for man who inappropriately touched a woman at a South Loop CTA station Tuesday morning.147
- Rapper Chief Keef Arrested In Georgia Hotel After Staff Smells MarijuanaChicago rapper Chief Keef makes no secret of his fondness for marijuana. The staff at the swanky LeMeridien Atlanta Perimeter hotel doesn’t share that fondness.144
- Florida Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing Of Bears FanA Florida man has pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears take on the Jaguars in October.619
- Man Critically Hurt In Jump From 3rd Floor Of HospitalA man was critically injured after attempting to jump from the window of a hospital Tuesday in the South Side Englewood neighborhood.201
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!