Illinois Policy Institute
In Illinois, Democrats – long supported by labor unions – have majorities in the House and Senate – and will have veto-proof majorities starting in January — and Gov. Pat Quinn also is a Democrat.
A pro-business think tank was warning that a legislative proposal to raise the minimum wage in Illinois would do more harm than good.
With the two-week trauma of the Chicago teachers’ strike now behind him, Mayor Rahm Emanuel has turned his attention to other labor challenges ahead. Police officers, firefighters, and transit workers are all either in contract talks, or getting ready to start negotiations.
A conservative think tank has proposed an alternative state budget that would cut wages for state employees by 10 percent; require retired workers to pay for their own health care premiums; and force local school districts to fund teacher pensions, instead of the state.
Illinois state government might be teetering financially, but our lawmakers continue to spend billions of dollars by passing legislation they sometimes might not even understand.
Traditional classrooms didn’t work for them, but hundreds of high school dropouts are now getting their diplomas a new way – on their terms.
A conservative think tank says the population exodus from Illinois to other states since the mid-1990s has cost the state $26 billion in taxable income.
The Illinois Policy Institute, a government watchdog group, says Illinois state legislators could save the taxpayers lots of money on their personal expenses.
A conservative think tank is warning that public sector pay scales are out of balance with those in the private sector.
A free market think tank says pay for Illinois state workers has far outpaced private sector pay over the last 15 years and should be reduced as part of any serious efforts to balance the budget.
At a time when the state of Illinois is crying poor, taxpayers are forking over millions to repave parking lots for local governments and private entities. CBS 2′s Kristyn Hartman reports.
In his winter budget address, Gov. Pat Quinn pledged that “all unnecessary state spending will be eliminated.”
A major school reform package advanced in an Illinois Senate committee in Springfield on Thursday, with an unusual coalition of lawmakers, school districts and teachers unions supporting the measure.
A conservative watchdog group says there’s a better way than Gov. Pat Quinn’s proposed state budget.
- Senate Passes Ban On Handheld Cell Phones While DrivingThe proposal says drivers must use hands-free devices or speakerphone features.127
- Three Stabbed On Northwest SideThree teenagers were stabbed in the Belmont Cragin area Thursday night on the Northwest Side.142
- Students Disciplined For ‘Sexting’ Incident At Evanston Township HighIn a letter to parents dated Thursday, District 202 Supt. Eric Witherspoon wrote that girls sent inappropriate photos to members of the varsity baseball team.265
- Cops Crack Down On Retailers Who Sell Stolen GoodsA new law in Illinois is allowing police and retailers to work together to crack down on organized retail theft. CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports.117
- Jury Sides With Donald Trump In Condo Dispute With Woman, 87A federal jury has sided with developer Donald Trump -- not the 87-year-old woman who says she was cheated financially after buying two condominiums at his Trump Tower project.1056
- VIDEO: Guard Allegedly Pushes Dunbar Student Down StairsAn employee at a public high school in the Bronzeville neighborhood has been taken off the job after being recorded on cell phone video pushing a girl down a set of stairs.408
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!