An Illinois House committee has held a hearing aimed on a proposal to providing more oversight for the private company that maintains health care in the Illinois prison system.
Sheriff Tom Dart says he wants you to be shocked by it because he says it proves there are people behind bars who should not be there.
Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn shut down the former program after The Associated Press reported that 1,745 inmates — some convicted of violent crimes — had been released within weeks or even days of their arrival at the penitentiary.
Two convicted bank robbers remained at large on Wednesday, the day after a brazen escape from the federal jail in the Loop.
Aquarius! Crawl out the metaphorical slit your jailers call a window, down that imaginary rope made of your hopes, dreams and bed sheets, and live your life!
Two inmates escaped Tuesday morning from the federal jail in the Loop, using bedsheets tied together to rappel 15 floors to the ground.
A fight at the Cook County Jail has landed four inmates in the hospital.
Five former Cook County Jail inmates are suing the Sheriff’s office.Five former Cook County Jail inmates are suing the Sheriff’s office.
More than 400 Cook County Jail inmates had to be shifted to different facilities Friday night when air conditioning units in the building they were housed in overheated.
Inmates at the Lake County Jail were having coffee Thursday morning when officers with dogs stormed in.
Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart still has his eyes on Joliet as a possible place to house any arrestee overflow there might be later this month during the NATO summit.
Authorities hope to teach Cook County Jail inmates some lessons about patience, responsibility and learning from mistakes – by having them play chess.
Inmates in the Illinois Department of Corrections system are contributing more to help pay down the state’s backlog of bills.
A fundraiser will be held in Woodstock Saturday for a unique organization that helps families with relatives in prison.
The number of suspects booked into the Cook County Jail has fallen in the last five years, but detainees on average are staying a week longer behind bars because of court delays, local law enforcement officials said Tuesday.
Inmates at the Cook County Jail are taking on some new responsibilities, in the form of cleaning cages at an animal shelter.
Anthony Ward and Devonta Guyton are accused of the 2008 killing of a 28-year-old victim in the West Side Lawndale neighborhood.
Transgender inmates at Cook County Jail can now be housed, dressed and searched according to their gender identity rather than their sex at birth, under a new policy.
Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart says he will provide spiritual guidance, but not holiday celebration, for 10,000 inmates in the jail under his control.
The University of Illinois at Chicago has received a $7 million grant from the National Institutes of Health to study effective ways to seek, test, and treat inmates with HIV.
- Some People You Should Know: The MelodeersIt all began when barbershop patrons started singing while waiting to get their hair cut. A century or so later, the Melodeers chorus is taking the music to a dazzling new height with 140 ladies singing in unaccompanied four-part harmony. CBS 2's Harry Porterfield reports.155
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Man Found Shot To Death In Zion Supermarket Parking LotThe man found shot to death in a parking in north suburban Zion on Thursday afternoon has been identified as a Waukegan resident.152
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!