Chris Collins was introduced as Northwestern’s 24th head men’s basketball coach Tuesday. But that may have been the second most important development inside Welsh-Ryan Arena.
Collins and Northwestern may be an ideal fit. It will certainly look and sound that way while it’s still all about appearances.
Bill Carmody is officially out at Northwestern, ending a 13-year run that did not include any NCAA Tournament berths.
The general consensus is that Carmody’s job is in the hands of Phillips right now, but a new question was raised after Thursday’s loss: Does Carmody even want to return?
He needs to cut the cord with Bill Carmody. Then, if NU’s AD is as smart as NU’s student body, he’ll make every effort to replace him with Duke associate head coach Chris Collins, a prodigal North Shore son who would fit Evanston like a winter glove.
The Chicago Cubs and Northwestern University announced what they are calling an “innovative, multi-year event and reciprocal marketing partnership” Tuesday that will include five Wildcats football games at Wrigley Field.
With no games scheduled until Monday, the Northwestern basketball team is taking a break this week. But here in the meantime, what I’m wondering is if the Northwestern basketball program will ever decide to break away from coach Bill Carmody.
Trustees at Northwestern University have voted in favor of a massive new multipurpose athletic facility on Lake Michigan, according to a published report.
Bald eagles have returned to a Cook County Forest Preserve south of Chicago for the first time in 100 years.
Northwestern has since decided to retain Carmody, and athletic director Jim Phillips said expectations have never been higher for the Wildcats.
Carmody led the Wildcats to their fourth straight NIT this season, but came under fire when the team failed in a number of chances to secure the school’s first ever NCAA Tournament berth.
Duke associate head coach Chris Collins reportedly prefers the Northwestern job over the Illinois job.
After 12 years, you can’t say that Carmody hasn’t had his chance in Evanston. He has.
A 22-ounce basketball never carried so much weight for a program that desperately needed it to find its way inside the 18-inch diameter of the rim.
Conference commissioner Jim Delany has long been pegged as the highest-profile figurehead in opposition to a college football playoff, but it appears the Big Ten is changing its tune.
Earlier this year, U.S. News & World Report ranked NU as the 12th-best college in the country. The school demands academic excellence. So why does its athletic program so revel in mediocrity?
It’s estimated that the rehab for an Achilles tendon rupture such as the one suffered last November by Northwestern quarterback Dan Persa takes anywhere from 12 to 14 months.
What is a small private school with very little football tradition like Northwestern doing spending money on billboards across the country to promote Dan Persa’s Heisman Trophy campaign?
Considering NU’s recent behavior under Phillips’ purple reign, his paintbrush is still threatening to make Chicago go blind.
Jim Phillips, a 1990 graduate of Illinois, agreed to a long-term contract extension with Northwestern, one that will keep him in Evanston through 2020.
- Three Teens Arrested After Large Fight On Lakefront On South SideThree teens were arrested on Sunday, after police broke up a large fight along the lakefront in the Jackson Park neighborhood.298
- Charred Body Found In Dumpster After Fire ExtinguishedAbout 11:05 p.m. firefighters were called to the 3100 block of North Kimball Avenue in the Avondale neighborhood after receiving a report of a dumpster blaze in a nearby alley.156
- 5 Dead, 18 Wounded In Weekend ViolenceFive people have been killed and at least 18 others wounded — including a 12-year-old boy left in critical condition — in shootings across the city since Friday night.6112
- Woman Disputes Story Of Chicago Cop Who Shot Her DogTensions are boiling over in the Norwood Park neighborhood on Chicago's Northwest Side where an off-duty Chicago police officer shot and killed a dog, reports WBBM's Nancy Harty.189
- 3 Critically Hurt In Kennedy CrashThree people were critically injured in a crash on the Kennedy Expressway on the Northwest Side Sunday morning.271
- Woman Found Dead At O’HareA woman was found dead near a bus stop at O’Hare International Airport Saturday, authorities said.308
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!
- Miller Lite ‘Take Me Out To The Ballpark’ Ticket Giveaway April 26, 2013Join The Score this summer at various locations throughout the Chicagoland area for your chance to win one of twenty pairs of tickets to a future White Sox game!