Drew Crawford scored 27 points, John Shurna added 23 and Northwestern held off Akron 76-74 on Tuesday night in the first round of the NIT.
Barring a collective sympathy vote by the NCAA Selection Tournament Committee, the Wildcats will likely be – and should be – on the outside looking in on Selection Sunday.
John Shurna met with the media in the locker room and talked about whether or not he thinks the Wildcats still have a shot at the NCAA Tournament.
Michigan State’s Draymond Green has been chosen as player of the year in the Big Ten, while Northwestern’s John Shurna, conference scoring leader, made the first team for both coaches and the media.
A 22-ounce basketball never carried so much weight for a program that desperately needed it to find its way inside the 18-inch diameter of the rim.
Jared Sullinger banked in a turnaround shot with 3.1 seconds left Wednesday night and No. 10 Ohio State recovered after squandering a 13-point second-half lead to beat Northwestern 75-73.
John Shurna made two free throws with 2.6 seconds left to give Northwestern a 67-66 win over Penn State on Saturday night.
Trey Burke, Zack Novak and Stu Douglass hit 3-pointers to start overtime Tuesday night and No. 11 Michigan beat Northwestern 67-55 for its fourth straight victory.
For the first time in school history, the Wildcats could be dancing in the NCAA tournament.
Cody Zeller kept Indiana in the game Wednesday night. Verdell Jones’ late charge proved to be the difference.
After big wins against Big Ten rivals Illinois and Iowa, the Northwestern basketball program is starting to make some noise around the NCAA.
Northwestern’s formula for Sunday’s 74-70 win against Illinois was a familiar one: stick to a guard-heavy six-man rotation, and hit open shots.
Robbie Hummel hit a baseline jumper with 12 seconds to play as Purdue claimed a 58-56 victory over Northwestern on Saturday.
Rodney Williams had 11 points and four steals and flustered the Big Ten’s leading scorer to help Minnesota to its third straight win, 75-52 over Northwestern on Sunday.
Jordan Taylor scored nine of his 15 points during a 17-2 run early in the second half, hitting three 3-pointers in a 1:38 span, to lead Wisconsin to a 77-57 rout of Northwestern on Wednesday night.
Michigan State coach Tom Izzo fretted during practice that some of his younger players would have a difficult time adjusting to the tempo and unique style of Northwestern’s offense.
Trey Burke scored 19 points — including Michigan’s last eight of overtime — to help the 13th-ranked Wolverines hold off Northwestern 66-64 on Wednesday night.
Myke Henry made one of two free throws with 6 seconds left and Meyers Leonard blocked a shot just before the buzzer as Illinois pulled out a 57-56 victory over Northwestern on Wednesday night.
William Buford had career-highs of 28 points and five 3-pointers as No. 2 Ohio State showed off its perimeter shooting in an 87-54 victory over Northwestern on Wednesday night in the Big Ten opener for both teams.
John Shurna, the Big Ten’s leading scorer, had 25 points to lead Northwestern past Georgia Tech 76-60 on Tuesday night in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge.
- Jail Inmate Charged With Previous Murder, Shooting In RobbinsA Cook County Jail inmate faces new charges in connection with a 2012 murder and a separate 2011 shooting in south suburban Robbins, the Cook County Sheriff’s office announced Saturday.60
- Teen Hurt In Little Village ShootingA 14-year-old boy was shot in the arm Saturday afternoon in the Southwest Side Little Village neighborhood.86
- Man Charged With Videotaping Women In Hospital WashroomA poorly secured cell phone in a west suburban hospital washroom that a man had allegedly set up to secretly videotape women in the toilet area was discovered by a woman when the phone fell to the washroom floor on Friday. She alerted police, who then arrested and charged a 49-year-old Franklin Park man with unlawful videotaping.156
- Young Man Shot Outside Old Orchard Shopping CenterA young man was wounded in a shooting in north suburban Skokie Friday night, outside the Old Orchard Shopping Center.227
- 3 Dead, 8 Shot In Citywide ViolenceThree men were killed and at least eight other people were wounded in violence around the city since Friday night.167
- Orange Line Service Resumes After Train-Pedestrian IncidentCTA commuters were temporarily stymied on the Orange Line during the Friday rush hour after a train fatally struck a man on the tracks.401
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- OREO Text-In Giveaway May 6, 2013The OREO King Size single serve packs are ideal for on the go snacking and sharing. To celebrate OREO King Size packs, text the keyword “OREO” to 67011 to enter for your chance to win a $250 Visa gift card!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!