The stuffed monkey spent the last year in storage, out of sight but still in everyone’s mind. Coach Pat Fitzgerald dusted it off for the Gator Bowl and even had it on the sideline Tuesday as a reminder of Northwestern’s decades-long, bowl losing streak — the ol’ monkey on their backs. Now, it’s in pieces.
Northwestern wanted to bolster its chances for a big-time bowl game. The Wildcats did that and more. Venric Mark rushed for 127 yards and a touchdown as Northwestern beat Illinois 50-14 on Saturday.
With Northwestern again holding a late lead, coach Pat Fitzgerald was willing to punt the ball away and put his defense on the spot. This time, the Wildcats held firm.
Devin Gardner ran for a 1-yard touchdown in overtime and Michigan’s defense responded with a stop, giving the Wolverines a wild 38-31 win over Northwestern on Saturday.
For the second time this season, Northwestern quarterback Kain Colter was named the Big Ten’s Offensive Player of the Week.
Kain Colter scored three rushing touchdowns and threw for another score as Northwestern defeated Iowa 28-17 on Saturday.
Excuse Northwestern fans for not being surprised with what happened Saturday afternoon at Ryan Field.
Venric Mark rushed for 182 yards and two touchdowns to carry Northwestern to a 21-13 victory over Minnesota on Saturday.
Northwestern failed its first big test of the season. A week after returning to the Top 25 for the first time since 2008, the No. 24 Wildcats wasted an 11-point lead in the fourth quarter, allowing three touchdowns in the final 9:49 in a 39-28 loss Saturday to Penn State.
Venric Mark ran for 123 yards and a late touchdown, Tyler Scott forced a key fumble and Northwestern beat Vanderbilt 23-13 Saturday night.
Pat Fitzgerald appears to be legitimately optimistic about a group that could start 10 sophomores or younger Saturday in the season opener.
The Wildcats scored on nine of their first 10 possessions, piled up 616 total yards and ended a five-game losing streak with a 59-38 rout of Indiana that looked even easier than the score indicated.
Northwestern quarterback Dan Persa is questionable for Saturday’s game at Indiana.
Northwestern most certainly can matchup with Michigan on Saturday. They can and they will.
Trent Steelman scored three touchdowns for the second straight week, including the game-winner on a 1-yard plunge with 2:49 remaining, and Army beat Northwestern 21-14 on Saturday.
Kain Colter delivered again while filling in for star Dan Persa, running for a career-high 109 yards with three touchdowns and throwing for 104 more to lead Northwestern to a 42-21 victory over Eastern Illinois on Saturday.
It’s estimated that the rehab for an Achilles tendon rupture such as the one suffered last November by Northwestern quarterback Dan Persa takes anywhere from 12 to 14 months.
Backup Kain Colter threw for 197 yards and ran for 71 more with a touchdown on Saturday to lead Northwestern to a 24-17 victory over Boston College in the season opener.
Northwestern faced Texas Tech for the TicketCity Bowl with the hopes of winning their first bowl since 1949. Their hopes were shattered in a 45-38 loss to Texas Tech on New Year’s Day.
Northwestern was given no chance as they faced Wisconsin. Montee Ball’s four touchdowns and Venric Mark 94 yard touchdown return was too much for the Wildcats to handle.
- Some People You Should Know: The MelodeersIt all began when barbershop patrons started singing while waiting to get their hair cut. A century or so later, the Melodeers chorus is taking the music to a dazzling new height with 140 ladies singing in unaccompanied four-part harmony. CBS 2's Harry Porterfield reports.155
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Man Found Shot To Death In Zion Supermarket Parking LotThe man found shot to death in a parking in north suburban Zion on Thursday afternoon has been identified as a Waukegan resident.152
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!